In Deep Cover by Mark Dykeman

Tell us what you thought about the May 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: In Deep Cover by Mark Dykeman

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Mark

Well, you know I liked it enough to include it this issue ...

Was anyone else reminded of the mysterious briefcases from "Pulp Fiction" and "Repo Man"?

(By the way, not everyone wants to improve. Some of us iz already perfekt. aNd Some of us wants fame and money without improving. ::))

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... I thought that the evangelist character believed himself to be Lucifer, and thought that he was collecting souls or faith for nefarious purposes, but was actually The Son. Lucifer, who had been fulfilling the role of The Son, came to reveal the truth and to exchange roles again.

Mark, who's right? Me, Jaimie, both, neither?

Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

There have been stories and movies where Satan acts against powers attempting to end the world precisely because he wants to keep the game going (or where supervillains or vampires or whatever work to prevent disaster for the same reason). Hence Anderson's motives here would not be unprecedented even if he had really been Satan. Actually, I wonder if the real Satan, Deceiver and Seducer, would have even more success as an evangelist than Jesus did ...

Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I believe that a strong hook, input with all your senses, convincing world building, professionalism in writing, believable dialog, endearing characters that grow and change, and a plotline wherein characters try to solve a dilemma are all necessary things in a story (unless it's flash or literary). Many people strongly disagree with this view.

I thought this story was lacking in several of these regards, but rather than start another war of words this month, I'll go in a different direction. This was really my biggest problem with this one:

Not much happens.

That is, if one is not swept up in the concept of the cosmic reality shift, basically, what happens is two guys go into a room and talk. Now, as the story reveals, these are not just two guys. But still, they just talk, then zap themselves out of the room.

I'll give the author credit for trying to build a universe in which nothing is as it seems, and for trying to explore a way that Satan might work for God. Both of those concepts are difficult. However, I didn't find the execution of that premise very gripping, sorry.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “May 2007”