Kristallnacht by J. B. Hogan

Tell us what you thought of the October 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Kristallnacht by J. B. Hogan

Post by Megawatts »

A touch of Slaughter House Five in this well crafted story. As I read on, I became more interested in the events taking place, and tried to understand the symbolism, and purpose of the two soldiers moving back in time. Are American soldiers now the new Nazis? In some ways the author suggests that, but Karl didn’t act the part of a Nazi soldier when transported back in time.
Vic seemed to be transformed into a more aggressive character, but Karl remained as himself.

Many of the stores along the street had windows broken, except the grocery store in which Vic entered. And that grocery store had the Star of David painted on its front window! Strange that the mob hadn’t attacked that grocery store especially with a clear indication that it was owned by a Jewish family. Maybe the mob didn’t get to it yet?  Or maybe Karl and Vic were not in Nazi Germany!! Possible! 

Somehow, the grocery store in the past save Karl and Vic from the house in the present. Vic entered the house in the past, searched it and found nothing. Karl didn’t want to enter the house in the past just as he didn’t want to enter the house in the present. As I said before, I don’t understand the relationship between how the past saved them in the present.

I thought the writing very good, sentence length, balance, and the dialogue also very good.

A good one!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “October 2007”