The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

Tell us what you thought about the June 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

vates wrote:I'm usuall not quite sure what to call the litte pieces of text Aphelion provides about each story. In this case however I'd call it a spoiler, as it contains some information the story itself only tells towards the end. My perception at least was severely influenced by that knowledge I'm certain I was not meant to have had. So if you have a chance I'd suggest to try not to read that little paragraph.
The original blurb was even longer...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

Post by Lester Curtis »

I can't endorse this one. The characters were generally not well differentiated, and when they were, they were almost all stark good guy/bad guy stereotypes. The plot was also a good-vs-evil construction, and seemed juvenile, like what I might expect from a children's action-adventure TV cartoon show, or at best a 1950's B movie.

The best part of the story was the first section, with Mia trying to escape to the safety of her apartment. It wasn't so good after that. Much of the attempted escape of the women seemed repetitive to me.

I don't know how McCamy comes by her prescience, but the title did nothing to warn me of the outcome, since there was no mention of a treaty until near the end -- and that was after I'd read all the other comments posted.

Sorry, Mr. Cutler -- big disappointment.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “June 2012”