Firebug by E. S. Strout

Tell us what you thought about the July 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Firebug by E. S. Strout

Post by Lester Curtis »

The detail is indeed amazing. I wasn't too interested in full descriptions of what everybody wore, but this:
The pathologist at U.C.I. Medical Center was equally baffled days later. Taggart's autopsy showed a perforation of the aortic arch and cardiac tamponade due to the sudden effusion of blood into the pericardial space. Rupture of a congenital defect in the arterial wall was the conclusion of the pathologist's report. A small skin defect on Taggart's upper back that had been obscured by the scrapes and abrasions caused by the vigorous CPR efforts went unnoticed.
and this:
"Emergency. JWA tower, this is Bombardier Learjet 45 x-ray romeo. Blown portside engine, unknown cause, instrument failure, hydraulics damaged. Please clear a runway for us," the pilot calmly requested.

"Copy, Learjet. We have you on radar, 65 miles out. Come left six degrees, use runway 1L/R19. You will be landing downwind. How are your control surfaces?"

"On manual, tower. Nose wheel won't deploy."

"Roger that. Maintain nose-up attitude if possible, you have over a mile of runway. Flaps at your discretion. Emergency vehicles standing by. Retardant foam being laid down now. NTSB notified and on their way."

"Airspeed 140 knots. Full flaps. Runway in sight. Touchdown in 30 seconds."
are incredibly effective in lending authenticity to the feel of the story.

The bad news: once the new hotshot (April Constanza) entered the picture, I knew exactly how Moe's career would end. Within six paragraphs of her introduction (I counted 'em), I said, "Oh. She's gonna suss out his signal and send him one of his own toys." It disappointed me when my prediction came true.

Also, all the conflict here is pure good vs evil, and these days, I'm getting to the point where that doesn't even count as conflict anymore with me. A character without some kind of internal inconsistency doesn't even interest me anymore. I don't care to know what make, model, and color slacks and shirts they wear. I want distinct mannerisms, facial expressions, body language, and seeing them hesitate over, "Oh, shit -- should I, or shouldn't I -- ?" These things make for interesting characters, ones I can care about.

Gino -- go watch a few episodes (or better, entire seasons) of "Dexter."

Still, this story is very fast-paced and easy to follow. It doesn't generate tension, though, especially when the bad guy's targets mostly escape death. Kill a few planeloads of people next time, and have the good guys tearing their hair out. Kill someone close to one of the good guys. Kill one of the good guys, even. Then show the bad guy attached to someone and kill them.

Make me care.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Firebug by E. S. Strout

Post by Lester Curtis »

Damn, I think I just found a boo-boo -- of the power-of-ten variety . . .
"Copy, Learjet. We have you on radar, 65 miles out. Come left six degrees, use runway 1L/R19. You will be landing downwind. How are your control surfaces?"

"On manual, tower. Nose wheel won't deploy."

"Roger that. Maintain nose-up attitude if possible, you have over a mile of runway. Flaps at your discretion. Emergency vehicles standing by. Retardant foam being laid down now. NTSB notified and on their way."

"Airspeed 140 knots. Full flaps. Runway in sight. Touchdown in 30 seconds."
At the stated speed and range, shouldn't that be closer to thirty minutes than thirty seconds?
Oh, and that's not to mention that the pilot can see the runway from 65 miles off . . .

And, why did I catch that before Bill -- ??!!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “July 2012”