Metaphase... by Sergio Palumbo

Tells us what you thought about the August 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Metaphase... by Sergio Palumbo

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Ah, c'mon -- didn't anybody read this? It's a ghost story, sort of, a cloning story, sort of, a cute dog story, sort of -- it's a Sergio Palumbo, with that distinctive Italian flavor. Bill Wolfe, if you're out there and able to read and type, I'm sure you'll have a few choice things to say about the science in this one...

Read. Learn the true nature of (hu)man's best friend, loyal until the end and beyond (spoiler).
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Metaphase... by Sergio Palumbo

Post by Lester Curtis »

Damn, I'd plumb forgot about this one.

On an emotional level, it works okay, but -- the (un)scientific premise of it was too much to swallow. Memories are the result of experience, not genetics.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mark Edgemon wrote:I've got to say this about Sergio, he IS persistent in his story writing...a trait I happen to admire!
Yeah . . . give him a topic and go have a sandwich, and when you get back, he's got a story up . . . that, along with his model-making and traveling to shows and such -- and a day job, too. I look positively glacial by comparison.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I still have a problem with the concept . . . clone the person just as they are, but they still have to be grown from a fetus, right? And adult memories -- neuronal paths, as you say -- still won't develop the way you like. Those neuronal paths weren't developed in the adult because of its DNA, they were developed because of its experience.

It's like cloning an adult who broke his arm when he was a teenager. The fetus won't develop with a broken arm.

Sorry. And, wasn't there an old movie about this? The Boys from Brazil, or something?

Return to “August 2012”