Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Tell us what you thought of the September 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

McCamy_Taylor wrote:Well written, spooky story with a novel premise. The narrator's world is so claustrophobic, I found myself looking forward to his plan even though I knew rationally that it was crazy.
There were no overtly 'genre' elements in this one, but I figured it qualified as existential horror -- a compelling look through the eyes of someone so sick of his life that insane acts seem reasonable -- even kind...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Grim tale . . . and with no happily ever after. Very well done, as depressing as it is. I liked the repeating theme about the blues. Just can't figure out why the author chose not to capitalize the the word "I," although, in context, it seems fitting.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Lester Curtis wrote:Grim tale . . . and with no happily ever after. Very well done, as depressing as it is. I liked the repeating theme about the blues. Just can't figure out why the author chose not to capitalize the the word "I," although, in context, it seems fitting.
And if that caught your eye, did you wonder why "jesus" was the only proper name not capitalized? Discuss.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Robert_Moriyama wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:Grim tale . . . and with no happily ever after. Very well done, as depressing as it is. I liked the repeating theme about the blues. Just can't figure out why the author chose not to capitalize the the word "I," although, in context, it seems fitting.
And if that caught your eye, did you wonder why "jesus" was the only proper name not capitalized? Discuss.
Well, I'm certain the "I" was deliberate, because he did capitalize it when it was the first word in a sentence.

Maybe just another subtle way of making a statement about the narrator's life?
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “September 2012”