Best of 2012?

Tell us what you thought about the December 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Best of 2012?

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

The February issue will feature editors' picks for the Best of 2012 for their respective categories. I, for one, would welcome any nominations Ye Readers might have. (Difficult with the Back Issue Index so far out of date, but if you remember a story WITHOUT being able to read it again to refresh your memory, it MUST be good!)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Best of 2012?

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mark Edgemon wrote: You know, it would be a good idea to list every story, poem and article in a review list to encourage member participation for nominations. A yearly thing!

Add the synopsis on the index page for each month for stories and articles.
Good idea, Mark . . . if you start now, you can have the list all set to go when next year's nominations come up. :wink: Go as far as you like with it -- tabulate the number of positive and negative comments for each story while you're at it. Whatever you think might be helpful. Publish the results monthly, if that's something you think the readers could use.

Make it so!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mark Edgemon wrote: No really, the index pages for each month could be copied, formated and posted in about a half hour, including all categories and yes Lester, give me access to those pages and I WILL be glad to do it.
I wouldn't know where to look -- see Robert's comments in the first post in this thread. So, if you want to do LAST year's list, you'll have some difficulty, I'm afraid.

What I'm suggesting is that you keep the list organized and filed somewhere starting now, while the information is up and easily available. Dead simple: click on one of those menu buttons on the left, and copy and paste that page into a file. If you'd like it enhanced, say with a tabulation of comments, easy-peasy, edit to your heart's content.

The thing is, Mark, YOU asked for this; no one else brought it up. I agree, it's a good idea. Problem is, the editors are telling you that they're swamped. The archives are a mess because no one's had time to catch up with that work. Don't assign them another job.

Leave last year's stuff alone and just start now with a new file for next year's, and people with appreciate it. Give yourself a title if you want. In the meantime, we'll get along as we have.

And no, I wasn't being snide. If YOU want to see this done, YOU should take ownership of it. No one will deny you permission, and I'm sure your efforts will be seen as helpful, but if YOU asked for it, YOU should be willing to do it.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Rick --
I have said in the past and will state it again, it's the editors job to pick.
Yep. But two of them asked for nominations.

And the spam --
I assume for someone new it would be an immediate turn off.
I nearly go into shock if I see spam at ANY website -- other than this one.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Now that the Back Issue index will let you refresh your memories of past stories ("short" and "long") and poetry, you can make "Best of 2012" nominations without data mining (as opposed to "Data, Miming", Brent Spiner's new one-man tribute to Marcel Marceau). You don't want to leave the selection process up to MY tastes, do you?

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

(as opposed to "Data, Miming", Brent Spiner's new one-man tribute to Marcel Marceau)
Wow . . . he's a natural . . .
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Discovered that the Back Issues for 2012 had some formatting glitches -- missed a "/" in the closing "</h3>" and a "</center>" , so everything after the "Serials and Long Fiction" header was centered and in large, bold text. Fixed the problem -- you can read the indices without sunglasses now. I have made a pass through to pick one or two stories from each month (from February through December / January), but I'm still open to suggestions...

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “December 2012”