Petticoat Lane By Matt Spencer

Tell us what you thought about the December 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Petticoat Lane By Matt Spencer

Post by Lester Curtis »

Lyrical prose! Odd, how well it works with the grisly subject matter. And I can't figure out if the merchant is a good guy or a bad guy. Either way, he's not someone you'd be well off to trifle with.

Thought-provoking tale. What does one do with certain kinds of power? The merchant is undeniably coercive, and speaks in ambitious terms, yet he has -- cleaned up the streets, in a way.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Petticoat Lane By Matt Spencer

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Lester Curtis wrote:Lyrical prose! Odd, how well it works with the grisly subject matter. And I can't figure out if the merchant is a good guy or a bad guy. Either way, he's not someone you'd be well off to trifle with.

Thought-provoking tale. What does one do with certain kinds of power? The merchant is undeniably coercive, and speaks in ambitious terms, yet he has -- cleaned up the streets, in a way.
Interesting that the only survivor from the street gang (and that with the merchant's intervention) was the boy worried about his younger siblings... The merchant let greed and general thuggishness take its course with the others. Of course we do not know what tasks he may set for Cole in the future -- he may be revealed as truly evil. (Petticoat Lane is, I think, part of or related to a novel Mr. Spencer is working on (or he may have finished it by now).)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “December 2012”