The Sodium Caper By Frederick Rustam

Tell us what you thought about the December 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: The Sodium Caper By Frederick Rustam

Post by Lester Curtis »

I think this has what's called a straight-line plot. Nothing really surprising happens. It's all actually rather dull.

I was hoping that the 'Rudy' character or maybe one or more of the 'boyos' were going to do something to screw up the aliens' plans. I was disappointed. Hell, they didn't even screw up each others' plans -- or those of the cops, who also did nothing.

Well written and nicely set up. Too bad it didn't go anywhere. Mr. Rustam missed a chance at producing a memorable story.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Sodium Caper By Frederick Rustam

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Lester Curtis wrote:I think this has what's called a straight-line plot. Nothing really surprising happens. It's all actually rather dull.

I was hoping that the 'Rudy' character or maybe one or more of the 'boyos' were going to do something to screw up the aliens' plans. I was disappointed. Hell, they didn't even screw up each others' plans -- or those of the cops, who also did nothing.

Well written and nicely set up. Too bad it didn't go anywhere. Mr. Rustam missed a chance at producing a memorable story.
In my acceptance note, I said the underlying theme was one of poetic justice, however accidental. Rudy, a manipulator, ended up being used as a puppet... not that the aliens knew this or cared. And in the end, Rudy paid for his past and planned crimes in a rather more extreme way than, say, an assistant college football coach of recent infamy. (One might wonder why the aliens, as advanced as they were, didn't have the means to extract sodium from seawater or table salt (both easily obtainable, as opposed to metallic sodium, which is relatively hard to come by because it reacts so strongly to water or an oxygen-rich environment and a teensy spark...))
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “December 2012”