Nixie By Robin B. Lipinski

Tell us what you thought about the December 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lipinski
Master Critic

Re: Nixie By Robin B. Lipinski

Post by Lipinski »

thanks Mark, 3 is one of my favorite numbers with the addition of +10: 13, 23, 43, 53... Nixie is one crazy cat, or is it really a cat >?<, and what about that 'magic' language, changes, changes, changes; flying carpet, fish, dog.

emeaegeiec: code for magic masked in ancient parchments
buried in sand
imprisoned in tall, stone-hard, mountains...
Aladdin and the Lamp
'poof'
a magic carpet
dropped into the sea, swirling down, down, down, and swallowed
a magic ring, from the three rings, a feline circle
as to what purpose?
Not this story will a reader see.
'woof'
look to the stars as the 'dog star' flickers whenever freedom is gained,
only to fall black as wishes run full circle,
to return.
magic: lore and story steeped in mystique when really it is all around us.
symbols
words
tools
potions
stories
pictures
results
curses
ha!
even a blind Warlock can see, not in such Hollywood rendition of rending logic can even come close
when it is so easy to ignore what can easily be seen.
a fable, a fairytale, a lie to sooth children to sleep
Washington balancing a budget seems like magic
yet, it still is make-believe.
supernatural seems like magic?
religion of course
Biblical warnings of something else that people also say is not 'real'.
The cat and dog do battle.
Love: Cupids arrow
explained by science as pheromones, lust, biological clock, and what is this word, 'science?'
Magic
magic
emeaegeiece
for one born without a soul knows full well the realm of that which mortals try to control...
the thoughts
unseen yet felt
random yet in full square
ah yes,
the contradiction
the words
the numbers
leading and ending with one committed in an earthly institution
a form of full square
in full battle with another world
yet for this world
a showing of gnashing of teeth
and silence...
Lipinski
Master Critic

Post by Lipinski »

Yepper Mark,
the joy of writing is in the writing no matter what it is that is being written.
For example:
Striving with effort, strength gained only after much practice
push
push
push
ah, feel it coming?
for some, it is almost as giving birth
creating a new life...
to look down and smile
wiping sweat from the brow
only then to pull the handle
to flush it all down.
See? Writing about a bowel movement is highly offensive to some editors/readers and enjoyable by others. As the writer, I had great 'joy' in writing it. Is it good? Is it bad? Hu or (who) cares. As long as you enjoy what you write there will be others who will also like it, or not.
As with our earlier challenges, write as you see fit regarding any topic. And so for another challenge to you, read the story and write a poem about Nixie the cat. Write whatever, however, you like and enjoy without thinking what others may think.
I think,
you may like it.
Lipinski
Master Critic

Post by Lipinski »

Mark, I enjoyed the results of yore answer to the challenge. I read the poem three times and felt three totally different feelings which lead to other feelings: Proof of success in my book.

Two other comments:
1. 'The end' used in your latest writing was not needed as your work lead me (the reader) to anticipate more to come, more that is unwritten except for the typewriter in my head. 'The end', in my opinion is best used when finality is meant, such as the last day President Obama transfers power to the next wobble-head doll, then, 'The End' is appropriate.

2. As to criticism, an example: picking your nose in the comfort of your own [space], extracting the nugget with one final attempt, brings joy of success, until...you see a shocked face spying upon your actions. They give a look of disgust, they judge you, they try to make you feel guilty when really you enjoy your exploration of your body. What do you do?

The same is applied to your writing. No matter what or how you do there will always be a critic. Maybe the criticism is an inspiration to try new ways or maybe they are hostile, who cares.

As to the earlier metaphor, I would offer to share the nose nugget with the spying eyes, or eat it, or flick it, or stick in on my forehead, all very enjoyable to me.

Put your sensitivity into your writing not into yourself when receiving criticism. I have to go do some exploring now and share it in my writing.

Merry Christmas and (of course) Happy new Mayan Calendar!

Return to “December 2012”