By Traditional Means

Tell us what you thought of the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: By Traditional Means

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Fun little premise.

I'll have to read the label on the cookies more carefully now.
Quote from one of the Addams Family movies. A snooty looking Girl Guide equivalent stops at a "lemonade" stand run by Wednesday and Pugsley Addams. Despite the prominently displayed box with the poison warning label on the table, she asks, "Is it made with real lemons? If it is, I'll trade you a box of Girl Scout cookies ..." To which Wednesday replies: "Are they made with real Girl Guides?"

And, of course, "Soylent Green is people!"

But in this case, the pig farmers weren't using people as pork substitutes, or at least not as pork MEAT substitutes. It was more a Wicker Man type fertility rite, slaying the Pig Man to endow the current boar pig with extra, er, potency. Now there motto will have to be, "Willaker Farms: where sows are bored and boars are nervous."

:o
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: By Traditional Means

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

That's the problem, Mike.

Sacrificing people pays. Heavily.

However, we have improved the technique since the days of the Aztecs. They didn't understand that if you obliterate the bio-mechanics, said person is no longer available to sacrifice again. Ask any Business School C student. ROI on sacrifices goes way up if you can do it over and over again. This was under development 2500ish years ago by the Greeks. They called it Tragedy.
I believe the process was applied at least twice in classical times, to wit: the punishment of Prometheus (liver devoured by vultures, then regenerating so it could be devoured again, and the never-ending task assigned to Sisyphus (pushing the boulder up the hill, over and over and over again...) The Norse variant would be the dripping venom torture of (I think) Loki (a.k.a. The Norse Venom Torture -- not as well known as the Chinese Water Torture, but much nastier). Now, technically, these weren't 'sacrifices', but they provided a few laughs for the vindictive Deities In Charge, so ...

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September 2007”