Christville

Tell us what you thought of the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Christville

Post by kailhofer »

Was I vicious as an editor, or here in the forum? I don't think I was vicious in replying to any of your submissions (not that there were that many even BEFORE the big Fracas in the Forum)... And here I thought you were just being vewwy vewwy quiet, or submitting to even more challenging markets (which you have been anyway, Baen's Universe, WOTF, etc.) rather than swimmin' in our little pond (or my part of it, anyway). Strangely (or perhaps not strangely), you and Mark both got me going for similar reasons -- an insistence that you were right about something (in your case, the definition of Story), whereas obviously I am right, at all times, thanks to my Dan-given Editorial Powers (the Doctrine of Editorial Infallibility, aka the "It's all about ME" rule). Was that thunder I heard just now? 'Scuse me, I have to make sure my lightning rod is grounded properly...

RM

PS If you are afraid that I will not judge your (Nate's) work fairly, maybe we can arrange for your submissions to be handled by Dan or McCamy, regardless of length / content (i.e., non-Mare). It seems like a shame for Aphelion to NOT get a shot at running your work, and for you to miss the chance for Forum feedback.
Finally got enough of a break here at work I can try answering this...

It's a little bit editorship, rest personality conflict. I had some pretty wounded pride over Alligator Tears not making any best of list in '05, even though honestly Another Sarah is mentioned more. I hadn't sent anything to you since then. The "spat" didn't help matters much. There were some low blows that hit much harder than you probably expected.

BTW-You react strongly to a certain kind of response. (Which, no, is not just insisting I'm right about something--it's a kind of arguing stance that drives you bonkers.) From what I saw, Mark did the exact same thing to you, and it set you off. I did it to you for years.

I don't want to sidetrack this topic totally, but no, I don't have anything out there. Being strung along by Baen's Universe by for a whole year, after all the revisions, with their readers and editorial board all telling me it's good until Mike Resnick finally read it, who really didn't seem to like it and rejected it--took a lot out of my self esteem. Especially after almost making it past Eric Flint at Baen with a previous story in the same universe. I haven't been able to force myself to send another one to a paying market since (I'm not good at selling myself, which is sad, since I've been trying for a big sale since 1985?). I stopped writing for over half a year, until Rob approved the Flash Challenges. That forced me to write something every month. Thankfully.

Since I think I only have one unpublished story in your word count range left, and it's a moldy oldie, I don't think I need any special handling.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Christville

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

...You poke one lousy Grizzly Bear with a stick and they NEVER let you forget.  And besides, I just had all the stitches removed.

Hath not a Billy eyes? hath not a Billy hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Bobby is?
... Not after poking the Ursus horribilis or canis lupus with the stick, he doesn't / isn't.

There was actually an incident at the Toronto zoo where a kid (young teenager) went off the beaten path, found an area with only a large-mesh fence between him and some timber wolves, and literally poked a wolf with a stick. The wolf, being Not Amused, tore his arm off. Now, I don't have the teeth and biting power of a wolf, but I do have access to power tools... (metaphorical and otherwise). So poke not the Robert with a stick.

You have been warned. (Huddles in corner, sharpening blade of nuclear-powered hedge trimmer*.)

RM

(*Still like new -- after all, how many nuclear-powered hedges are you likely to trim in one lifetime?)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September 2007”