The Blind Collaborators

Tell us what you thought of the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Blind Collaborators

Post by kailhofer »

Since dear Professor Jones has opened the lecture, I will jump in as well.

Besides the humor value, I had decided to give Gareth a grace resource if the whole project became unwieldy. ("Why did THAT happen?" "Must be that continuum anomaly that was going on earlier.")

Because of glitches with participants disappearing into a vortex somewhere, we had a bit of trouble wrapping it all together. Did anyone else contribute two portions?
I did two. Can anyone tell which? (I have my suspicions about who wrote what--since only Gareth really knows--but am curious if anyone can guess who created each part before the correct answers are revealed.)

I certainly didn't know what it was going to be like after assembly, or how it was going to end. (We haven't seen all the parts until just now.) I half expected that the whole thing was going to be a punch line of some kind of joke. I also didn't know that the bits were going to be interspersed with each other, but it helped blend things together.

I was confused by the techs & mechs being different departments until the end. Maybe I didn't catch this--was the problem with the non-paying resolved, or left dangling? Likewise, what about the series of improbable events in that sector/module/ward/center? Did the unreality hole close, or is it still open?

As for the Douglas Adams, I think only that part and the last line makes it dependent on having read that. The rest of them stand pretty well on their own.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Yeah, way to crush Bill's hopes and dreams. All he wanted out of life was to run a hot dog cart.  ;)

Actually, I thought that made the story seem all the more real. I honestly felt bad for him.

Nate
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

So, Gareth, it worked once. Do you think your experiment can prove itself a second time?

I imagine it would be much harder the 2nd time out to come up with a similar situation to put it all together without sounding hokie. I mean, if I see again that I need to wind up somewhere holding something, I don't know if I can put the same feeling behind the story, because I know what I'm doing is really just to get people into a situation at the end. I'm not sure I'm stating that well, but I hope you can get my gist.

Then again, maybe that won't matter, and it will still be just as fun.

Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Or the classic quote from "Johnny Dangerously":

Fargin' icehole! >:(
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Have we waited long enough for everyone to say who wrote what?

I'm really kind of curious.

Nate
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Nailed it! (But I have no proof of that.)

Nate

Return to “September 2007”