Rain by Craig Cornwell

Tell us what you thought of the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Rain by Craig Cornwell

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Of course, Frank Byrns will have one of his superfolks come over and give this fellow a good talking to. I mean, for most people, suicidal thoughts are not to be taken lightly, but when you're practically invulnerable, they're just silly and self-indulgent.

Or that Parker fellow could give him The Speech (great power, great responsibility, yada yada yada)...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Of course, Frank Byrns will have one of his superfolks come over and give this fellow a good talking to. I mean, for most people, suicidal thoughts are not to be taken lightly, but when you're practically invulnerable, they're just silly and self-indulgent.
Nah, I think Frank's guys would completely understand.

This was a nice little portrait, a character study if you will. I wished it was longer, though. This was barely... what, 1200 words? Much as I like flash, it might have been nice to add more sympathy for him or make it a greater struggle to make the leap. More emotionally satisfying that way.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Nice twist on superheros. I guess even a superhero can become depressed or disgusted with his/her/its existence.

Nice story!
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Let's see now: Spider-man 3 was one of the top-grossing movies this year; Hulk, Iron Man, and The Dark Knight (the second Christian Bale Batman movie) are due out soon; "Heroes" is one of the hottest TV shows; the "Bionic Woman" 'reimagining' is receiving positive buzz. Can't IMAGINE why there are lots of superhero stories emerging from the collective zeitgeist! (Since Marvel Comics were among my "tutors" in both writing and art, I ... like it.) Now, Frank Byrns, who has carried the superhero fiction torch when it WASN'T fashionable, probably feels a bit annoyed by all the Cape-come-lately types muscling in on his turf...

Personally, I don't think a story should be rejected purely because of its subgenre (y'hear that, Strange Horizons?). If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, then it doesn't matter how trendy its subject matter may be. Any story that I include in the Short Stories section of Aphelion has SOMETHING that I like about it, sometimes enough so that I will let some serious flaws slide.

RM

(PS Anyway, there aren't any new stories -- just the basic ones that have been around since the First Human put two grunts together and attached a specific meaning to them. Right now, Kabuki-izing those stories (making them bigger, louder, and More Spectacular) by giving godlike powers to some of the characters is in vogue in sf. In the ancient world, the heroes and demons had godlike powers because they WERE gods and demons (or had been granted Gifts by same).)
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 20, 2007, 09:18:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September 2007”