April issue

Tell us what you thought about the March 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

April issue

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Despite Lester's seed-planting and comments by Lester and Verse (and a few by me), the comments have been pretty thin this month. Mark commented on poetry, but mostly posted in his own topics.

LAST CHANCE: we hope to put the April edition online around the 15th, so you have a few more days to access the stories and poems easily... Let us (and the authors) know you're out there!
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: April issue

Post by Lester Curtis »

Apologies, Robert. I usually try to get at these sooner; been having some unusual issues at home.

Of course, that doesn't explain where everyone else has been . . .

SUBMIT, DAMMIT!! :lol:
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Lester Curtis wrote:Apologies, Robert. I usually try to get at these sooner; been having some unusual issues at home.

Of course, that doesn't explain where everyone else has been . . .

SUBMIT, DAMMIT!! :lol:
Hey, that's bottomdweller's tag line. Hello, plagiarism police? We have a Code Pi in progress...

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Mark Edgemon wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote:...Mark commented on poetry, but mostly posted in his own topics.
Hey, I've just added the total post count and not including Lester's thread openings, I've made the most posts for this edition (16 to your 8 Robert)...that IS in addition to my charity work at the lost and forgotten editor's retirement home. 8)

If you've got the next issue put to bed, why don't you show us how critiques are done and comment yourself on the stories you've already read.
If we don't count posts where you promote your business, or multiple posts to the same topic (Lipinski), then what do we get? It's funny that you still post to Spam Parody, when by your own admission, you use Aphelion as a substitute for advertising.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Mark Edgemon wrote:
Mark Edgemon wrote:...If you've got the next issue put to bed, why don't you show us how critiques are done and comment yourself on the stories you've already read.
I guess asking you to comment on stories IS asking a bit much. It is more pleasurable for you to give tongue lashings to the few of those that are left.
Robert Moriyama wrote:If we don't count posts where you promote your business, or multiple posts to the same topic (Lipinski), then what do we get? It's funny that you still post to Spam Parody, when by your own admission, you use Aphelion as a substitute for advertising.
If you subtract the 4 posts to Robin Lipinski, I still have posted more to this edition. That included thoughtful commentaries to 6 poems and encouraging writers.

I sure hope you don't post something snarly to run Robin off, like you did R. H. Fay. Swapping original poems with Robin, his poetry games with Iain, me and Lester, not only heightens the value of this site, but our abilities as well.

You're the only person I know that bitch and moan when people ARE doing what you ask them to do.

The few spam parody posts were in regards to the spam that got through the other day.

You say that by my own admission, Aphelion is an advertising paradise? The dozen or so people that are here at any one time are either my friends - or you (if you weren't so perpetually negative, we could get along). True, I have produced audio stories for some of the writers here; Dan, Nate, Richard, David Jones and Chris Callahan, but I never charged them, it was to encourage their writing. Nothing more.

Instead of fuming over what me or others are doing or not doing - why don't you lead by example!
You keep mentioning how you produced audio stories for a few authors... over and over again... You complain that I don't lead by example -- well, IT AIN'T MY JOB TO COMMENT, it's my job to edit and put the stories online. The authors know what I think, what I liked and didn't like. (The authors I reject also get some useful comments, which, according to your theory, is a bad thing.)

The Mark Edgemon philosophy begins and ends with "That which amuses or benefits Mark is good, and should be mandatory." Never giving negative comments to anybody is how you get the rejects from the audition rounds of the TV talent competitions. You get people who should never sing or dance in public being told that they are terrible, and they react with outrage because NOBODY HAS EVER TOLD THEM THEY AREN'T GOOD. Let's see some posts from you that aren't self-congratulatory (oh, if only those bums had done things my way, I could get THREE million hits per month at the website I don't update! And we could all fart rainbows! But they won't listen to me, the fools!) Your arrogance when I dared to reject one of your stories long ago has not faded with time -- it's just developed a few layers of false modesty. Maybe the reason we aren't recovering in terms of commenters is YOU -- maybe seeing that Mark Edgemon has posted more of his opinions and poems and jokes is NOT a selling point.

You're the only person that bitchES and moans that people don't do what YOU think they should do, and does it again, and again, even after an issue HAS been addressed. Always ready to offer unqualified advice on how other people feel, never willing to examine your own behavior and attitudes.

Anybody out there miss R. H. Fay? Like Mark, he felt that Aphelion should be what HE wanted it to be, and anyone who questioned it was Unworthy of his Divine Presence. (NOT USE GMAIL? How DARE you suggest that I do anything to help with a problem! (He was wrong, in any case -- I wanted NEW members to avoid using the most common spam domains (gmail, yahoo, aol)).

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Wormtongue wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:SUBMIT, DAMMIT!! :lol:
Shouldn't that be: "KNEEL before Zod!"?
Good laugh there. I like that better; too bad it isn't relevant to anything here.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Mark Edgemon wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote: You keep mentioning how you produced audio stories for a few authors... over and over again... You complain that I don't lead by example -- well, IT AIN'T MY JOB TO COMMENT, it's my job to edit and put the stories online.
Leading by example was referring to your negativity such as these posts. Notice how the other editors conduct themselves.

But why not post story comments, so we all can learn from them. Is there a problem taking a short amount of time to give us the benefit of your thoughts on the stories?

In the previous post, it sounded like you were saying I was advertising for audio book/story business and I was refuting that, by saying all of the ones I have done for members here, have been produced free. Doesn't make sense to advertise for business that I'm planning on giving away.
Robert_Moriyama wrote:The authors know what I think, what I liked and didn't like. (The authors I reject also get some useful comments, which, according to your theory, is a bad thing.)
Is not bad to critique, just to make fun of a writer or his work.

I stick with commenting on poetry, like some others here, because I know it better. I leave the negative comments to you, cause you do them so well - and frequent.
Robert_Moriyama wrote: The Mark Edgemon philosophy begins and ends with "That which amuses or benefits Mark is good, and should be mandatory."
The dozen or more times I tried to get you to do something about the spam throughout the last year, was NOT to benefit me, but the site. Whether prideful or lazy, you did little to find a solution, you just kept stamping out the spam posts. Many of the suggestions I made was taken from managment of other forum sites, with links to their set up, showing how they defeated the problem. You ignored them. If it wasn't for the courage of one person, I'm sure we'd still be knee deep in them.
Robert_Moriyama wrote: Never giving negative comments to anybody is how you get the rejects from the audition rounds of the TV talent competitions. You get people who should never sing or dance in public being told that they are terrible, and they react with outrage because NOBODY HAS EVER TOLD THEM THEY AREN'T GOOD.
Negative reinforcement is not how I treat a writer's work. But that's just me. There are plenty of others in life who do it.
Robert_Moriyama wrote: Let's see some posts from you that aren't self-congratulatory (oh, if only those bums had done things my way, I could get THREE million hits per month at the website I don't update!
The purpose of MY site, is to give examples of my work for prospective business. Also, I have republished other writer's works - to encourage them. It is not an active site, but a promotional tool.
Robert_Moriyama wrote: And we could all fart rainbows! But they won't listen to me, the fools!) Your arrogance when I dared to reject one of your stories long ago has not faded with time -- it's just developed a few layers of false modesty. Maybe the reason we aren't recovering in terms of commenters is YOU -- maybe seeing that Mark Edgemon has posted more of his opinions and poems and jokes is NOT a selling point.
I'm sure your gaseous expulsions are not multi-colored.

Well, comments ARE opinions, Robert.

Davidson Hero and Robin Lipinski have both told me my poetry has inspired them in the last few days through posts and pms. Others have ongoing. Isn't this what YOU are suppose to do Robert, inspire by example.
Robert_Moriyama wrote:You're the only person that bitchES and moans that people don't do what YOU think they should do, and does it again, and again, even after an issue HAS been addressed. Always ready to offer unqualified advice on how other people feel, never willing to examine your own behavior and attitudes.
True, I have offered suggestions time and again. So, what's your point? That I care? Cause if I didn't, I wouldn't.
Robert_Moriyama wrote: Anybody out there miss R. H. Fay? Like Mark, he felt that Aphelion should be what HE wanted it to be, and anyone who questioned it was Unworthy of his Divine Presence. (NOT USE GMAIL? How DARE you suggest that I do anything to help with a problem! (He was wrong, in any case -- I wanted NEW members to avoid using the most common spam domains (gmail, yahoo, aol)).
R. H. Fay submitted poetry and plugged his poetry work to other sites on Administrivia. That was what he was interested in and that is how he participated in this site.

But, you should not be publicly ridiculing anyone...ever! You should be above that as - editor - don't you agree?
Hey Mark -- you win. I just PM'd Dan to tell him to find a replacement for me. Congratulations and good luck.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I think I'm gonna save this thread in case I ever need material for a Greek tragedy.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

rick tornello wrote:MY 2 Cents, REALLY????

Just ignore the idiot!
Careful, Rick, you're standing in the middle of a tumbleweed patch.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Mark Edgemon wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:
rick tornello wrote:MY 2 Cents, REALLY????

Just ignore the idiot!
Careful, Rick, you're standing in the middle of a tumbleweed patch.
I'm taking his advice and ignoring him.
Ah, the Gospel according to Saint Mark. How I will miss the holier-than-anybody sermons from Mount Ego. Mark never does anything that is not motivated by the Greatest Love of All (thanks, Whitney Houston, for identifying its nature). So how many NEW readers or commenters have you attracted, Mark? How much activity away from your pet topics? Your claims to be doing everything for the benefit of the 'zine are contradicted by your own remarks about not having Facebook or other social media pages. Why do you put all your "games" here? Because it's the only place that ANYONE pays any attention to you at all. My resignation must come as the crowning achievement of your tenure here, unctuous and clearly insincere protestations to the contrary.

Yes, careful Rick. You could get stuck in the quagmire of self-admiration if you stray into the Edgemon zone.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Let us all drop the petty insults.
I second that.

Return to “March 2013”