Henchmen Academy by Spencer Carvalho

Tell us what you thought about the April 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Henchmen Academy by Spencer Carvalho

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Reminiscent of the Monty Python sketch where the self-defense instructor tells his class that he will now teach them how to cope when attacked with ... a blueberry! Some wiseass asks, "What about a pointed stick?"
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote:Reminiscent of the Monty Python sketch where the self-defense instructor tells his class that he will now teach them how to cope when attacked with ... a blueberry! Some wiseass asks, "What about a pointed stick?"
However, don't give Marcus Ayers the blueberry, because he can kill you with it if he's angry. Marcus Ayers was a character on the second episode of Alphas, a show about a non-glamorous take on "super powers". They tried hard to keep the abilities almost believable. Ayers had the talent of building huge cause and effect chained sequences. So he could flick the blueberry at someone's eye, then they'd blink at the wrong time, and crash a car. Then when the car crashes it rams the power supply pole and shorts out the city block. Then something bad would happen in the dark. Or something.
Peter Bishop developed a similar ability on "Fringe" when he (foolishly) let an Observer brain-boosting implant attach itself to his nervous system...

And on "Touch", the 36 what's-their-faces are able to foresee events and adjust them by intervening at earlier points in the (sometimes world-spanning) event chains.

(Come to think of it, "The Adjustment Bureau" agents (angels) worked in a similar way.)

I wonder how the Post Metrics scheme will deal with this series of posts... from an offhand observation about the "training" offered at the Academy to a recitation of "Butterfly Effect"-derived superpowers in recent sf and fantasy media.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote: I wonder how the Post Metrics scheme will deal with this series of posts... from an offhand observation about the "training" offered at the Academy to a recitation of "Butterfly Effect"-derived superpowers in recent sf and fantasy media.
My plan is working! (Insert your favorite evil laugh here.)

In a way, the concept shares similarities to the whole Schrodinger Cat puzzle from quantum theory. Having already spun back a couple of nascent conversations, we're getting a nice early start to the April board. Of course, a few other people are also perking up this month and your illustrious personage has contributed a couple of nice replies to my notes, so that's why in another sense I can't "prove it" with only 1 month's worth of info. But in general, I believe that this is an example of a small enough group that starting with my own increased efforts, that the difference will slowly become noticeable.

The next spot to watch out for is the mid-month lull after the first flurry of posts tapers off.
... or the attention drain when Nate releases the next Forum Flash Challenge topic!

Jack London (1876-1916)
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Back on topic -- this was just plain funny!

Health care plan!

Good job, Spencer!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “April 2013”