Desired Lives By Y.A. Hill

Tell us what you thought about the May 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Desired Lives By Y.A. Hill

Post by Lester Curtis »

It seems to me that they're not teaching the classics in college any more, like Shakespeare and the King James bible -- you do have to still got to college to be a lawyer, don't you -- ? This writer bothered me with his bobbling of Olde Englishe by confusing "thy" and "thine" -- although, when I tried to analyze it, I couldn't quite nail down the rules myself, so I'll give him a pass. I was going to write,
THY = YOUR
THINE = YOURS
but that's not exactly correct . . . it's slippery. "Your" could be either "thy" or "thine," but so could "yours." I think it's contextual.

Anyway -- I found the concept to be fairly fresh, and aside from the little language problem, I liked the story. It became obvious that something was going to turn out really badly for at least one of the characters when Jake started addressing his wife by the wrong name. (I've never done that, but I'm pretty sure it means Big Trouble. :shock: )

I honestly wasn't expecting the --unusual development -- to be the work of the evil sorcerer, who was clearly also a brilliant strategist.

Good story!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Desired Lives By Y.A. Hill

Post by Lester Curtis »

Wormtongue wrote:"Thy" and "thine" are almost interchangeable - it's more a case of what word follows. If the following word starts with a vowel, then use "thine", as in: thine eyes, If the following word starts with a consonant, then go with "thy": by thy hand was this done!
Ah, I was right; it IS contextual. I just hadn't nailed down how. Thanks!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “May 2013”