Causal Effect By Roderick D. Turner

Tell us what you thought about the May 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Causal Effect By Roderick D. Turner

Post by Lester Curtis »

The thing that took me a little sideways in this story was -- at first -- Lena's apparently vicious personality. And she's a philosopher?! A little too strong to be believable, and I found myself asking why Paul ever spent more than half an hour in her company.

I like how the author covered up the lack of scientific excuses for this ability by saying that everyone does this but they just don't know about it. That's pretty weak, though, really; if an ordinary philosopher can learn it, the practice should have been known for at least two millennia.

About halfway through, I got the signal: her asking him how he knew he was the only one who could do this trick. The ensuing increase in changes made me think they were about to go on a complex and dangerous adventure to find whoever else it was (a large number), and likely have a big fight with them. I think that would have been a letdown.

I figured out it was her about one paragraph before THE END. Pretty well done; only -- what next? Sorry, but I can't just leave a thing like this. These two will be having kids pretty soon -- what's going to happen when their rebellious teenagers get tired of their stuffy parents jumping them all over the alternate realities? :mrgreen:
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “May 2013”