Your Obedient Servant by Stanley Wilkin

Tell us what you thought about the August 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Your Obedient Servant by Stanley Wilkin

Post by Lester Curtis »

I was baffled. The main character is going around killing dozens of people I know nothing about, for no clear reason, simultaneously obeying some orders and ignoring others, with no hint as to whose are which. I couldn't find any plot or characterization.

Sounds like an equipment malfunction to me. But, as the last line says,
Governments always have a need for a machine like me.
and I'm sure that, after some gentle rehab in a scrap furnace, he'd make a great set of filing cabinets.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Your Obedient Servant by Stanley Wilkin

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

internetjoe wrote:I enjoyed this clever tale.
The main character is going around killing dozens of people I know nothing about, for no clear reason, simultaneously obeying some orders and ignoring others, with no hint as to whose are which. I couldn't find any plot or characterization.
The Secretary ordered the execution of the Director and, before his death, the Director had ordered the execution of the Secretary. Both were carried out in order of priority. It is unclear why Robert would accept orders from both the Secretary as well as the Director. The chain of command is unexplained.

I would be nice to learn more about the world this takes place in.
Sounds like the assassin was a bit like Hymie the Robot from "Get Smart" (the TV series) -- good at understanding spoken orders, but a little too literal. Having received two orders, he carried out both -- after all, neither the Secretary nor the Director specifically said that any orders from the other should be cancelled (if already given) or ignored. An "artificial stupid"? (Can't remember what author coined the term for A.I. specialized to deal with only one field, clueless about everything else...)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “August 2013”