When Angels Dare to Weep by Barney E. Abrams

Tell us what you thought of the September 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: When Angels Dare to Weep by Barney E. Abrams

Post by Lester Curtis »

I read it yesterday and have just been giving myself time to let it percolate.

One of the problems with it is a matter of language and conceptual understanding versus experiential understanding with the Weepers: they have discussions about things -- like joy and happiness -- that they seem to be inherently incapable of experiencing. These things should be meaningless for them to even mention if all they're made for is to be miserable.

Then there's the problem of contrasting emotion and experience: if a Weeper can feel nothing but sadness, then he/she truly cannot feel sad, because that is their normal state. They shouldn't even be able to think about being sad; they have no contrasting or comparative experience to guage sadness against. And, in that condition, what do they have to cry about?

Ulira's act of conniving, rebellious vengeance against Cruelot made no sense either, since this whole species was presumably purpose-built to do nothing of the sort. So, it's hard to imagine she'd even be able to think of such a deed, let alone be able to carry it off. Getting the cooperation of the other Weepers should have been impossible as well.

All in all, the Weepers are not what you keep telling us they are -- or at least, not what they keep telling us they are.

Aside from all that, I was a little bothered by the story line. It leans heavily on your version of Creation mythology, and the story depends on that being coherent, yet it all falls apart at the end.

Finally, I thought it a little jarring that the Serpentines have advanced technology. Sometimes SF and fantasy can be blended to good effect in a story, but to me, the SF element felt out of place here; a straight fantasy setting would have been more consistent. The SF element itself was inconsistent: they had 'flash pistols' and an 'energy drill,' but people still traveled in horse-drawn wagons and carriages.

Proofread carefully; I spotted some typos.

Hope this helps.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “September 2013”