'Soul Searching' and 'Visions'

Tell us what you thought about the February 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

'Soul Searching' and 'Visions'

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

What? No comments on these stories? Obviously, I liked them enough to run them, so the authors know what I thought about them. (Both involve a sort of time travel -- but the methods used and the motives for making the 'trip' are utterly different.)<br><br>Surely the authors would appreciate another opinion or three. Only a few days until the next issue!<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: 'Soul Searching' and 'Visions'

Post by kailhofer »

Ever walk into a room filled with people where only two are talking?<br><br>When you do, you're quiet too. Not on purpose or anything... Just doesn't seem like you should pipe up.<br><br>Now, if there are five different conversations going on, you feel free to join in on any of them.<br><br><br>Lately, and for whatever reason, many have stopped commenting, almost completely. (It's not a problem with the writing in the issue--this month has a lot of good stuff in it.) There are very few of us left now who comment on all of the stories, even among elite group of loudmouthed folks commonly known as the Usual Suspects. You, Robert, used to be a big voice from your corner of the room, but now that you've crossed over, you're far more tight-lipped.<br><br>Rather than ask us why we're not talking, perhaps it would be better to strike up your own conversation. <br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on March 05, 2005, 12:10:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

You, Robert, used to be a big voice from your corner of the room, but now that you've crossed over, you're far more tight-lipped.

Nate
<br>I've CROSSED OVER? Oh my Gods -- I'll have to ask John Edwards to relay messages for me.<br><br>Please keep in mind that I have read and commented on (to the authors) everything that shows up in the short stories section, plus some that DON'T make it in. I'm receiving slightly more stories per month than I can include in a single 'issue', and have a backlog of close to 20 I need to review and respond to. Then there's these Nightwatch authors that keep asking for feedback on stories in development ... I could, I suppose, comment on Poetry and Jeff's longer-form stuff, if I had the energy to read it ... You will notice that I have commented on some of the Other People's Comments re: the short stories, defending the authors for writing things the way they did (and me for liking it).<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I've CROSSED OVER? Oh my Gods -- I'll have to ask John Edwards to relay messages for me.
<br>Well, as a Capo in the editorial mafia, you have a certain "protection" that I don't... You can whack any story I send to you without fear of reprisal. (How much do I have to pay this month, again?) You, on the other hand, would have to anger Don Vila... :)<br><br>Jeez. It's not like I said you'd crossed over to the Dark Side--and started writing soap opera romances. :P<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on March 09, 2005, 07:43:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Hmm.

There's something plaintive and warning about this thread. People take comfort in their favorite reading nourishment coming out with regularity, even when they are not wheedling it all out issue by issue...[snip]

In one sense, that's my purpose for starting in 1999 to review, to bring new freshness to the past. One more step against entropy, planned obsolesence, etc. With out a perverse sense of fighting corporate brainwashing, it's easy to be coaxed into "letting old links lie."

Look at our copyrights, disney basically bought the ruling. Most existing cultural work isn't even sellable.

The point is, we're lurking, remembering, logging "Aphelion to do" lists, etc. The contributors should not give up hope with a couple slow months.
<br>Dude, self-medicating? Check the dosage! ;)<br><br>Seriously, it sounded like a nice sentiment, but you lost me part way through...<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on March 10, 2005, 08:43:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “February 2005”