The Hounds of the Five Boroughs by Brian C. Petroz

Tell us what you thought about the February 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Hounds of the Five Boroughs by Brian C. Pe

Post by kailhofer »

If we're taking a roll call of heritage, I'm German-Irish.<br><br>Like Jaimie, I had a little problem with the dialogue. I think what seemed unnatural about it was that the cops sometimes spoke in brogue, and sometimes as modern New Yorkers.<br><br>I like details and sensory input. I think everyone is tired of me bringing that up, so let me just say I thought it needed more.<br><br>I had trouble believing some of the characters. First, that the Doc could figure it out so quickly, and so accurately. Second, that the detectives would buy it as readily as they did. Unless this pair of detectives are assigned all the "fruity" "UFO" cases, they should have just rolled their eyes and gone back to rounding up dogs.<br><br>In terms of plot, I thought this was an ok story. Lonely fairy travels to New York to feel useful again. Meets a clansman and offers him a chance to kill her, to end her service to the clan, and he chooses not to. Everybody makes choices based on knowledge of events that happen during the story. Aces there.<br><br>I really liked the end, where Minelli would call Mulhearn whenever he heard the wail of the banshee, to make sure he was all right. Good closure, and funny, too.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
bpetroz
Commenter

Post by bpetroz »

Hi everyone, I want to thank everyone who read the story, and took the time to offer comments. They are always appreciated. I often wonder how readers are reacting to a story.<br><br>Jaimie is correct that this is one of an ongoing series. There are currently 13 stories in the series. In addition to "Hounds" in this issue, a story entitled, "The Eye of Time", appeared in the Feb. 2004 issue of Aphelion, and a third story, "The Iceman", appeared in the March 2004 issue of Planet Magazine.<br><br>The series is a pet project, and is what brought me back to writing fiction after a more than 20 year absence. It is an old idea from the early 80's. As job and family grew, writing simply was pushed to the side. In 2002, with a couple of kids out of the nest, and the remaining one's self sufficient (read that Driver's licenses), I decided to give it a try, just to see if I could still do it, without really intending to send them anywhere. Within 3 months, I had written the first drafts of 8 stories, and had been infected by the writing bug (incurable this time). I worked up some other old ideas, and went back and edited the M&M stories. The Feb. 2004 appearance was my first in the modern era.<br><br>In the dialogue between the fairies, I wasn't reaching for High Fantasy, but a more archaic form of speach, that would show their age. Marking a difference between Minelli and Mulhearn has been a little more diffcult. Mulhearn should have a New York variant, while Minellis should speak a form of Jersey. I was afraid that if not carried out well, it would further detract from the stories.<br><br>I am Italian, and my first wife was Irish, so I am well acquainted with the ethnic tensions, but have avoided them on purpose. They are partners, and would lay down their life for the other. They are honest cops who ran afoul of not so honest precinct captains, and their punishment was being assigned to the Special Crimes Section, better known as the "Spook Squad". Over the course of the series, they have seen some pretty strange stuff, which would explain the fact that they are more open than to the strange than other detectives would be.<br><br>Sorry for rambling, but I did want to thank those who commented, and would be interested in hearing from other readers.<br><br>Brian Petroziello
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Hello, Brian!<br><br>It's always nice to hear how feedback is received. There's nothing damning in either my comments or those I read of the other Usual Suspects. I'd say put things together just a little bit more, you'll really be on to something great. And don't forget, every short needs to be able to stand by itself--most readers won't have read the other stories in the series no matter where they appeared.<br><br>Near the end of the month, I like to look at the end of the members list. It tends to give me a heads up whose stories will be in the next issue. So, I was a bit surprised to see you joined up here back in June of '04. That's a long time to read commentary from people like me and still submit a story.<br><br>Don't be a stranger. (Or at least, don't be stranger than me. :)) The voice of every author is worth hearing, and not just about their own stories.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “February 2005”