Red Sky by George Schaade

Tell us what you think about the March 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Red Sky by George Schaade

Post by Megawatts »

I love this type of story. Very, very good intro that captured my attention and held it through-out the story.

The dialogue sounded real and the science behind the Red Sky was introduced towards the end, which I feel adds to the story. Too much info splattered though-out the story distracts, but introduced at the end, I feel, enhances the ending in this story.

Nice job :D + :D
Tesla Lives!!!
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

I was a little thrown off because it wasn't until I was well into the story that I found out this is an 'alternate history' story.

Dialog was very good, but the characterization didn't seem very deep; the characters don't have much individuality. Setting detail was good; the plot was simple and straightforward.

I think it could have used a few more details. For one, the officials would have been glad to have Roger's samples and data from the site. Also, someone should have mentioned that the aliens were landing shots on a moving target, and with uncanny precision. They weren't shooting at Earth; they were shooting at where the Earth would be some 916 years after they fired.

The ending had me wondering where the rest of it was. This could easily be mistaken for the first chapter of a novel. I'd buy a copy if that turned out to happen. The Big Question has been asked, and it needs an answer.

Aside from that, it's quite well-written; clean and easy to follow.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I almost rejected this story because like Lester, I wanted the rest. I don't like gypping the audience out of closure. Then I moved it to my "send back for revisions" pile for a few days, then I finally decided that it had just enough to stand on it's own.

That's just the way I think about tales when I'm reading them, I guess. :shrug:
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “March 2014”