Beneath a Summer Moon by Camila Dodik

Tell us what you think about the June 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Beneath a Summer Moon by Camila Dodik

Post by Lester Curtis »

To me, the most powerful point in the story was:
"She has talent. As so many others do not. And you want," he felt his face growing hot, "her to give up her dream in order to live."
I also liked:
Next to that frog sat an ugly young woman. Oh, her face resembled the beautiful actresses on the cover of the supermarket gossip magazine she was reading, but the young man found the expression on it repulsive. There was glee playing around her lips as she perused articles about, judging from the cover, celebrities' stays in rehab, their divorces, their DUIs. A luxury purse dangled from her elbow.
I had a hard time keeping my willing suspension of disbelief with the young man's dialog, although it was somewhat refreshing just by its rarity. Way over the top--but then, so was Bradbury. This doesn't measure up to Bradbury's work, sadly.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: Beneath a Summer Moon by Camila Dodik

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mark Edgemon wrote: I think Bradbury would have become a waiter instead of a writer, if he had read Wesson's imaginative tales.
Well, I've read Shakespeare, Burroughs, Wells, Twain, Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, and more others than I care to count, and that didn't stop me. Mind you, nothing against Wesson, by any means, but a writer can't NOT write. We're here and we keep going because each of us have stories to tell.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “June 2014”