The Alchemy of Oblivion by Glenn M. Diamond

Tell us what you thought about the April issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

The Alchemy of Oblivion by Glenn M. Diamond

Post by Lester Curtis »

I think Mr. Diamond has a sense of humor. The line:
How can anyone Blabb with just forty-six characters?
contains exactly 45 characters. Just goes to show that you can tackle a serious what-if topic and still have some fun while doing it.

This certainly is a unique what-if, and he explores it with admirable precision. Plot, characterization, dialog and setting are all very well written.

Excellent job. I nominate this for the Year's Best list.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: The Alchemy of Oblivion by Glenn M. Diamond

Post by kailhofer »

I loved this piece, which is why I chose it for this issue, but I do feel bad that Mr. Diamond had to wait a few months for his shot at a name on the cover and top billing. The style felt very classic to me, yet with modern touches, such as the BlabbIt. Very clever throughout.

If you haven't read this one yet, you should. Now. Right now.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: The Alchemy of Oblivion by Glenn M. Diamond

Post by Megawatts »

Can entropy cause mass hysteria, insanity or induce schizophrenia? That’s a very good question and one that differential equations can’t solve.

I remember solving differential equations involving entropy about forty-years ago, and if I remember correctly, that subject of entropy has far reaching possibilities. A change in one system can sometimes completely alter one system yet have no effect on another.

I believe that this story suggests that a massive drop in temperature–uniform and world-wide possibly– could cause some instinct in us that reacts to the change, and that reaction is what this story suggests.

I liked it! Yes I did, but that might be a problem!

It’s always best to keep the science down to about high school level, in my opinion—and I don’t mean high school honor classes, because the average reader wants entertainment. But that rule isn’t set in stone.

Some stories introduce science in a teaching sense throughout the story and it works. Your story borders on that concept and I believe that you can be one of those writers that can teach science in a story, yet have a story that grabs one’s attention and keeps him/her reading! And when finished with the story, the reader will love it and learn something. We need those writers!

I don’t the talent to teach and tell a story. If I tried, the classroom would be empty in a second, and I really don’t have the desire to write like that. I love stories about kids getting themselves into weird situations! Stephen King’s it is a good example of the stories I like to write.

Looking forward to your next story!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “April 2016”