The Voice Catcher by Tyra Tanner

Tell us what you thought about the May issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: The Voice Catcher by Tyra Tanner

Post by Lester Curtis »

I just finished reading this, so I haven't got much to say about it yet. Just or starters, though, the prose is exceptionally beautiful, and the overall feel of the story puts me in mind of Ray Bradbury.

The character arc is really powerful.

I think this one could find a home on the Best Of list.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

Mahatma_Randy wrote:I felt the Bradbury riff as well.
So maybe that counts as another vote for Best Of. :D

One of the things Bradbury did well—almost better than anybody—was to dig into our deepest fears, and this story is all about that. We find that the trees were never a real threat, but, hearing disembodied voices—? THAT scares, and Tyra brought it off beautifully. The thing being, that before some certain age, a kid doesn't know to be afraid; it's only the adults who panic. Who knows why? Stacia just got the chance to hear the friendly side early, and developed the beginnings of an empathetic relationship with the trees, so the adult fear had opposition.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Lester Curtis wrote:So maybe that counts as another vote for Best Of. :D
Wow, it's almost like I should have given the story top billing and put her name on the zine cover. ;)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Sometime I read the critiques before I read and critique a story, and sometimes I don’t. With
this story I did.

First, I enjoyed reading this story. The prose was very good, and I had no difficulty following the story. Stacia ventured into the unknown—or little known since she had some experience with the forest. I’ll not go into any deep literary analysis of this story because I feel the story exists for entertainment.

Good beginning; it grabbed my attention, and that is always a plus. The narrative of the first paragraph was long enough and not overly draw out. All the writing in this story followed the principle of Show/Tell rather well. The dialogue sounded real and sensory input could be felt though out the story. Italics were used when needed and not over done, as some stories do.

The Ray Bradbury is definitely in this story and so is a little of Stephen King. At times it reminded me of the Martian Chronicles and other times Dandeline Wine. But I must admit it’s been over forty-five years since I’ve read either!

I usually don’t like Fantasy but I did enjoy reading this one! The only question I have is why “Sludge Truck?”

Good job!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “May 2016”