Six Thegn Quean Episode One by David Ulnar-Slew

Tell us what you thought about the July 2016 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Six Thegn Quean Episode One by David Ulnar-Slew

Post by Lester Curtis »

I'll admit that the first time I saw this story, I didn't get very far into it; I don't recall why.

This time I had no choice. :lol: I'm happy to say, though, that even after multiple readings, I found it likable and engaging, and I'm looking forward to continuing.

It starts out seeming like there's a fairly simple problem facing the main characters, and early on, I wasn't expecting much complexity. However, the story unfolds such that, by the end of this first installment, the principle players are looking at a much bigger situation than they'd been expecting to have to deal with.

There's a good deal of complexity to most of the characters and their situations and interactions, and I think this is the main strength of the story. I'm thinking that most or all of them will make it through to the end, but what happens to them in the meantime is sure to be exciting, and maybe surprising.

Some of the events are presented with a bit of humor, but the situation they all face is certainly no laughing matter, and there seems to be a good balance between the serious and the not-so-serious aspects of the story. It flows pretty well for the most part, too, though I found a few tiny spots that slowed me down with awkward or overlong sentences.

I recommend it.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “July 2016”