The Digestion Cooperation by J. Cameron Kuban

Tell us what you thought about the August 2016 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

The Digestion Cooperation by J. Cameron Kuban

Post by kailhofer »

Even aliens can't figure out what goes on inside a woman's head... I loved that. :)

I was a little disappointed that Melissa would try to abandon her daughter like that, but it is something one sees in the media all the time. At least the aliens knew they should be together.

I was equally disappointed with the Ted character's choice, given the same daughter, but obviously that was the engine driving the entire story.

I felt it was a good read.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Re: The Digestion Cooperation by J. Cameron Kuban

Post by Lester Curtis »

Males who would voluntarily die for an orgasm ... reminded me of some insects (like preying mantises) and spiders. Who else, now ... there's some kind of mole, I forget the specifics, but when the females are in season, the males stop eating, sleeping, or anything else and continually copulate until they die of exhaustion.

Clever premise, but now I'm tempted to try to figure out what the evolutionary payoff might be for humans in this scenario. I guess the aliens win that round.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

KateStuart wrote:Well, it's nice to think that women are mysterious and complicated (especially being a woman myself), but are there really that many men who would abandon everything (including their children) for an orgasm that's going to kill them? Really?

Don't get me wrong, the story is a fun ride, but it is at least slightly preposterous, right? :wink:
Well, the aliens were only taking a limited number, and who knows, maybe they're just cleaning up our gene pool for us.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

KateStuart wrote:are there really that many men who would abandon everything (including their children) for an orgasm that's going to kill them? Really?

Don't get me wrong, the story is a fun ride, but it is at least slightly preposterous, right? :wink:
Obviously, no parent, male or female should abandon their children. That's just plain wrong.

However, the divorce rate shows that all kinds of people leave their spouses for all kinds of reasons.

We really don't know much about the Ted character here. If we disallow the daughter here, would it be so bad if you had a terminal disease or something? I'd much rather go that way than have cancer devour me from the inside out. If it was solely to get away from his wife... it's a stretch, although she does seem very clingy.

It would be a much better route than suicide (but that's not the right way out either!) Stats say that there are 117 suicides in America per day. That would fill a lot of ships.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “August 2016”