Fur Flying by Walter G. Esselman

Share your thoughts about the November 2016 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Fur Flying by Walter G. Esselman

Post by Megawatts »

An action story that holds ones attention. Nice use of dialogue and a nice, steady rhythm to it from beginning to end. No sentences were choppy or difficult to understand, and that is a plus when reading a story that can be classified under sword and sorcery, possibly. Sometimes the characters in sword and sorcery are hard to imagine, and often their speech is twisted into an old English usage with some dialect that borders on present-day slang. This story had the correct mixture of language: I could understand everything said in one reading.

The characters came alive to me, the setting worked and the story held my interest. The use of
‘Burgermeister’ easily places us in Dracula country without having to use narration, for with using that noun, our imaginations can set the stage needed for the story, and description becomes somewhat intuitive since Frankenstein and Dracula movies are imbedded in our minds, and we unconsciously recall the villages and townspeople in those movies!

The story was well crafted and enjoyable. Good use of story telling techniques. I don't really have anything to nit pick about!

I never read sword and sorcery except for the short stories in that genre at Aphelion.

Nice job!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “November 2016”