Beyond Scope by R.W. Warwich

Share your thoughts about the November 2016 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Beyond Scope by R.W. Warwich

Post by Megawatts »

Nice short one that reminds me of the old Twilight Zone and Outer Limits in its content. The theme of “Beyond Scope” was a popular one during the 1950's.

The opening to the story got my attention, and the remainder of the beginning held it. Good word choices, nice sentence lengths with clarity.

The dialogue worked and the characters seemed real enough. I like how the story showed that Canton was neglected rather than tell it, and how Canton wasn’t sure if torture were the reason!

I read somewhere once that if you encounter intelligent beings but are unable to communicate with them, draw a right triangle! Since math is universal, a right triangle should be a common symbol among intelligent life, and it will be recognized that only another intelligence would understand its significance. So if I were Canton, I would have drew one if I could have. I’m sure many eyeballs would be popping out at that one!

I can’t think of any meaningful suggestions. Maybe a little more sensory input, but that’s easy to say about any story. I would have liked to hear the name of the shuttle since names add to the poignancy of a story.

Good story!!

Very nice Job!
Last edited by Megawatts on November 17, 2016, 12:35:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “November 2016”