Sacred Spear by John M. Cowan

Tell us what you thought about the April 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Sacred Spear by John M. Cowan

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Jaimie<br><br>In JMC's defense, I didn't find the 'infodumps' particularly intrusive. The one you quoted was making the point that the Veil was trying to finish the fight when she was crippled in terms of firepower and targeting capabilities; the crew were taking stock of what they had available, and the news was not good.<br><br>Your desire for more description (I presume you are waiting for Nate K. to ask what the carpeting smelled like) seems to clash with your objection to infodumps; while quick injections of 'sensory' info might help to establish the 'you are there' immediacy of things, they might also detract from the straight-ahead momentum that made the story fun to read.<br><br>As for originality -- well, all the Star Trek series borrowed heavily from each other and from older stories (sf and otherwise); Shakespeare's plots and characters were often retreads; Star Wars combined Flash Gordon, Kurosawa movies, and Arthurian legend. There may be 'more things in heaven and earth', but it has often been noted that there are very few original ideas / plots / stories. I thought JMC had done a bang-up job of writing a classic space opera (which is what I think he meant to do), so -- <br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

So what did the carpeting smell like? :D<br><br>Using sensory input to make the world around you concrete is a good thing. As I recall, it certainly helped Robert's story about the little child frozen by the shadows when he used them (that was November, I think). <br><br>I think the most "real" thing in the story to me was the jingle stuck in the Skipper's head (auditory input, even if remembered). It reminded me of the doorbell chime on (I believe it was ST Voyager). It was the same as the opening notes of I Dream of Jeannie, and I would think of that show every time I heard it. We've all had tunes stuck in our heads, and it helped me relate.<br><br>The ships & the crews... I would have liked to more detail about how all of them looked. Star Wars taught us all of the weakness of the exhaust port on the side of the ship, but I wanted to know if this was bigger target than Tatooine's "womp rats" that Luke used to bullseye at 500 yards. If it was a tiny opening, it could have added to the tension by knowing what a hard target it would be to hit.<br><br>On character development, I thought Commander Stone was believable enough as an inexperienced officer in the rough for the first time. It reminded me not so much as a Star trek episode as the OCS part of Starship Troopers. He made mistakes, and did his best to cope. You learn; you fight on.<br><br>I didn't get a good handle on Byrd and what she wanted. Maybe it was to find out why Stone was a better choice, or she just didn't like the change in style from her last commander. In either case, her motives appeared conflicted, and I never caught why. I felt shouting out the course change before Stone could should have landed her in hot water. There is only one captain on a ship in battle, unless you want bad things to happen.<br><br>The plot, I thought, was muddled. If they were going to engage the raiders anyway, why offer a chance to withdraw? Were they on one side, or peacekeepers? Why turn so soon to attack the raiders? No matter what her speed, the cruiser would still have been near enough to engage them after the battle started. <br><br>Not many captains leave their bridge in the middle of a battle. After all, a captain is in charge because he, or she, or it, is the most experienced officer. A few Klingons opened up on the Enterprise when Scotty was in charge and Kirk was down on the planet, but I can't think of a time James T. stayed out of it when he wasn't strapped down to a medical bed. The proof is in the results, I guess. They won, or at least lived to fight another day.<br><br>I would have liked to see more about why he was eager to fight again at the end. He didn't like the death of Kelsey, and wanted to know when he could see the bodies. He sounded like he didn't like death. If it was just the urge to command, I would have liked to see a distinction made.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
jcowan
Commenter

Post by jcowan »

Your feedback to my story, “Sacred Spear” has been terrific. In thanks, I wanted to share my own thoughts on the story and how it developed.<br><br>I write a lot about leadership and management issues at my day job, and I wanted to explore what happens to a relatively inexperienced leader who makes a mistake and has to live with it. My model for the story was David Weber, whose early Honor Harrington novels I've enjoyed a lot. I realized I would need to work on a much smaller scale to make a short story work, so I scaled down things like the size of the ship and crew to level I could manage more easily.<br><br>My principle goal was to show Stone’s response to his error and explore his attempt to deal with failure and overcome his fears. For that reason I didn’t go into very much detail about the background of the conflict with the Apellians, and similarly didn’t delve very far into the rest of the characters—Nita Byrd in particular. Originally I planned to have Stone actually relinquish command of the Veil to Byrd, demoting himself to the weapons deck, but that quickly seemed out of character in a military setting. I decided that I did need for him to be present on the weapons deck for the climactic scene, so I gave him weapons deck experience in the past to account for it. I also thought that in a crisis it might make sense for him to be somewhere he could contribute, rather than watching everything from the bridge, especially when he has a capable officer in Byrd. The short final scene, ending with “Suddenly he couldn’t wait” came up unexpectedly as I looked for a satisfying way to conclude the story, and I realized I wanted to show that Stone had changed and grown into the leader’s role as a result of his experiences.<br><br>It’s certainly not a perfect story, but the final result did turn out to be the story I wanted to write, and I’m happy with it. Your comments suggest it holds up reasonably well despite various problems, and I appreciate the time you've taken to help me improve my work.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>John

Return to “April 2005”