A Thousand Times

Tell us what you thought about the April 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Boomer
Commenter

A Thousand Times

Post by Boomer »

Apart from the few ss errors and missing words this story reads well from start to finish. The formatting could have been better, but it is well paced with a good central charactor<br><br>Boomer
Boomer
Commenter

Re: A Thousand Times

Post by Boomer »

Gee... I guess that no one else liked the story... by the number of insighfull comments found here... Oh well, better luck next time
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Gee... I guess that no one else liked the story... by the number of insighfull comments found here... Oh well, better luck next time
<br><br>Could be they haven't read it yet ... it didn't go online until around the 11th or 12th, and as some other threads have noted, sometimes it's hard to find time to read everything in an issue. Sadly, the longer stuff (in Jeff's Serials and Novellas section) frequently gets left until last (which sometimes equals 'never got around to it'). And there are only a handful of readers out of the dozens or hundreds of Aphelion visitors each month who ever bother to post comments on anything (mainly The Usual Suspects (Nate K., dsullivan (who is having computer problems this month), et al.).<br><br>(My excuse is that I have to read every short (< 7500 words) story in every issue, PLUS a few that I don't accept. Then there's the day job, eating, sleeping, reading other stuff (I know, 'it's a OUTrage!') ...)<br><br>In other words, getting only one post (or none at all) doesn't necessarily imply that the story is bad. Replying to or commenting on the comments you do receive is a good way to stimulate more feedback (as people are more likely to view a thread with new posts, which might lead to them posting as well).<br><br><br>Robert M.<br>(who MIGHT get around to reading your story, but ain't promising anything)
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on April 29, 2005, 10:55:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

This is a good read.<br><br>I thought the beginning was the weakest part, with the flow being slow and tentative... as if the author was casting about, trying to get a feel for his universe and his character. The story finds its tone by the time Charley wakes up in the alien cell, and keeps it until the end. It almost gives the impression that to Charley the real world was an unreal place. Perhaps that was intentional, but I would have recommended writing a new beginning after the end was completed, when the character and his arc were fully known by the author. It's just my opinion, but I think the beginning would flow better and bring in the reader more quickly.<br><br>On setting, I asked myself if the ship seemed like a real place. At first, I'd have to say no. A stinky Chief Petty Officer, a largely un-described radiation suit and reactor vent, a sore shoulder from an unknown-shaped hatch... that's not a lot to go on. Since Charley was the only human character of any real significance, it may have been advisable to describe him in more detail. That way when he's crawling along in the dark recesses on the outside of the ship, I could have pictured the face inside the helmet as it was illuminated by the displays inside it. <br><br>Detail helps with tone. Imagine the effect it could have had to describe the bridge when it was working and then show it as it was when Charley steps onto it. It doubles his isolation, his desperation--just from using more description. As the story progressed, the setting became more real, possibly because Charley was growing in sync with it. All the senses were thrown in, and that helped. <br><br>I liked the computer and all the regulations. I chuckled out loud when he had to verify all those deaths before he could do anything. Very clever. One thing that didn't strike me as right was having Charley on this ship in the first place. The vibe I got was that this was like 18th century sailing ships, where some of the crew were the dregs of humanity. Except that this was an elite ship with a first-of-its-kind mission. That kind of trip usually gets all-volunteer, top of their class types, rather than bottom of the barrel. If deep space exploration was commonplace, I could have swallowed this better.<br><br>This story held together well, in my opinion, and had a ring of truth to it. That's something we all try for in our stories, but few of us manage to attain. It's plot had a forward momentum, keeping the audience reading, hungry to find out what happens next, and that's no small feat.<br><br>It's a small nit, but the computer calling him Captain and then Charley interchangeably bothered me. Charley himself says that he didn't think it was worth correcting it, but it goes back to calling him Captain, even though he had given the machine a direct order to call him Charley. Was its new-found independence interfering with it's performance?<br><br>Other than that, I felt this was a wonderful story. Fun to read, interesting, and inspiring at the same time. Romantic as well, if you believe the computer loves him.<br><br>Well done!<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Boomer
Commenter

Post by Boomer »

Wow! Thanks Nate. That was everything… well almost everything I needed. A couple of things I need to add, one being the 17,000 word restriction for submittal, which tended to limit the amount of description I would have liked to have put in. No excuse I know… I can almost hear the ‘write better and tighter’, and I will have to agree. The other is the beginning. This bothered me a lot, and I did honestly try to re-write it several times, to no avail. I’ll definitely have to look and try to re-write it again, now that I know its not working. As to Charley. On a ship the size of a battle cruiser, and the unsaid limited amount of manpower available for a long cruise, one or two screw-ups are bound to slip in. Having been in the military myself, its surprising how some of them seem to fly below the radar. In Charley’s case, I wanted him to be more of the bad luck, no luck type of person rather than a complete waste. He is a good power tech, as he said after all; just more concerned with him self than anything else. (met a few of them). All the other comments and suggestion are taken to heart, and I enjoyed reading them. Thanks again Nate.
Boomer
Commenter

Post by Boomer »

PS: Hadn't thought of that, but yes, you could be right. the CI could very well be in love with Charley.
Boomer
Commenter

Post by Boomer »

;D Now he tells me... now he tells me <sobbing>
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

All the other comments and suggestion are taken to heart, and I enjoyed reading them. Thanks again Nate.
<br>It's nice to see a happy reception. I'm usually afraid that I just destroyed whatever fragile ego an author had left.<br><br>BTW--I don't blame you for trying to "seed" the reviews with one of your own. We all crave feedback. Even if you don't get it right away, rest assured, sooner or later one or all of the Usual Suspects will speak up.<br><br>Keep up the good work.<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on May 01, 2005, 01:48:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Boomer
Commenter

Post by Boomer »

Jaimie:<br><br>Have a bit of a grumble myself. I started with 3,564 spelling errors, and between hundreds of spell checks, re-write and my editor using her big red pen to slash and burn her way through my master piece, I thought we’d found 99.9 % of them. Could you give me some idea of the number of spelling errors [Oxford English] I am down to?<br><br>As to grammar. Am I dealing with a cultural difference between American and English usage of grammar, etc. or something else?<br><br>Thirdly. I have sent an e-mail to our esteemed story editor asking if there is a better format to send submissions to him, as I have no control (at this time) of how the story will look once posted on Aphelion.<br><br>Boomer <br>

Return to “April 2005”