Tough Town by Jon Stubbington

Tell us what you thought about the August 2017 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Tough Town by Jon Stubbington

Post by Megawatts »

The intro grabbed my attention which is needed for any story. Then the story turned into the old detective stereotype that had been so popular in the 1940's and 50's.

This story could have been set anywhere and if it were general fiction, the story could have turned out the same with a little imagination. In fact, this story gave me an idea.

Many critiques would expound on the stereotype that this story centers around, but those critiques are more academic than practical. The first requirement of any story it to grab and hold the reader’s attention. The story should take one’s mind away from reality, and according to many psychologists and therapists--- relax and refresh one’s mind. A short story does this if it’s written with that purpose in mind.

One of the best short stories ever, is “The Most Dangerous Game” by Richard Connell.

When examining “The Most Dangerous Game” we find that it is highly Stereotyped! Many novels and stories leading up to this one had someone falling off a ship, or a castle with a madman in it. Yet, the story soars! From beginning to end it holds one’s attention!

The sum up “Tough Town” it certainly held my attention and I enjoyed it from beginning to end!!

Good Job!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “August 2017”