Beautiful Error by Stuart Cormie

Tell us what you thought about the February 2018 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Beautiful Error by Stuart Cormie

Post by Megawatts »

The intro works; gets one’s attention and hold one’s interest.

A story in which two friends venture into an old atomic test site. They ignore the warning sign and don’t call in for permission to enter. An aborigine finds them and tells them that they have made a big mistake. She also like the beer they have and drinks some.

The story follows what a nuclear test site years afterwards might be like. A monster storm--- a life force generated by the nuclear testing--- chases Ash and his friend. They wreck the Toyota Land Cruiser because they are drunk.

Noora the aborigine finds Rich alive and sits beside him as they talk. She indicates that sometime a difference can be for the better. I believe she doesn’t harm him, in fact she keep him as a mate or possibly a pet. The story can be interpreted different ways as to the ending. Noora might be the storm but now shifted back into human like form.

Nice story. The old atomic test site stories were common in the nineteen fifties, and many sci-fi movies of that time had their setting on one of the atolls used for testing in the South Pacific. It’s nice to see a story revisit the old theme of yesteryear, and I wish more writers would venture into stories about the aftereffects of nuclear testing. Let’s face it. Those atolls are still there!
Tesla Lives!!!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Beautiful Error by Stuart Cormie

Post by Megawatts »

I attempted to read and critique all the stories this month, and I must say I did rush a little. I forgot to add that you did a very good job with this one.
Thanks for the read!!

Aphelion is a little inactive now, so I intend to contribute more each month. It's too good of a sci-fi site to let dormant.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “February 2018”