The Lady of the Stars by T. N. Allan

Tell us what you thought about the February 2018 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

The Lady of the Stars by T. N. Allan

Post by Megawatts »

An intro that Edgar Allen Poe might have composed. This story investigates the thoughts and feelings of a reclused artists, his fears and hopes, and his search for a suitable subject to paint. The story gets intellectual as it progresses---- maybe a little too intellectual for the average reader.

I couldn’t concentrate on it. I found my mind wandering and had to jolt myself back into concentrating on the story. I read Emerson and Thoreau at night often, but with them my mind seems to switch gears in which I can read them. With short stories, I mind is on a faster track, one in which more action and less thinking is required. I'm sure other's have similar moods about their reading habits.

The writer does a good job of description and uses words strategically. He also varies his sentence lengths and in his narrations he expresses his ideas well, but his writing have a somewhat dark and mystical suggestion to existence.

Magdalena Martin a deformed individual became his ‘Art Deco of deformity.’ However, she told Donovan that she didn’t want her deformity exploited. He did with his painting of her and she abruptly left his apartment after looking over his work. However, she moved slow because of her deformity, but to her she was hurrying.

Hid next girl came in covered with tattoos and a head full of philosophy —Cosmicism— and she didn’t have any qualms about taking on and on with Donovan about the universe, life, and especially herself.

The interaction between Donovan and the tattooed girl shed some light onto the story, but I couldn’t understand much about this story with one reading. Two or three reads are needed on this one, and I just don’t have the time.

Nice effort. The writer has talent and a good grasp of language. His skills came through with description and narration. What his attempt might have been with this story is beyond my time limit to answer.

Some work went into this one!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “February 2018”