Lost in Transition by Susan Anwin

Tell us what you thought about the March 2018 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Lost in Transition by Susan Anwin

Post by Megawatts »

Intro worked: got me hooked. We learn that Jack is an ‘unhuman’ bum, a Vohiek with Vohiek talents. Apparently he can set fires to things by thinking! I’m not sure what the name of that ability is.

Good description and also the use of sensory inputs adds favor to the story. The dialogue worked for me because it sounded real.

Moonshine isn’t a drink that bums use. A cheap wine is the norm with bums. Moonshine is hard to get unless you live where I do. It’s local to West Virginia, Southwest Pennsylvania, and nearby states.

One mistake she made was not using the plural with folks in “Must be the folk in the kitchen, burned something.” Jack said that to the administrator at the shelter.

At the end we find that a priest approaches Jack and says, " you, Jack, are a destroyer of worlds! Jack doesn’t understand that!

Good story but I’m a little confused with the ending.

Susan Anwin is a very good writer, very talented. English is her second language I believe. Writing in another language other than my native English would be harder than me flying to the moon aboard a kite! I marvel at the writes here at Aphelion that can write in another language other than their native language.
Tesla Lives!!!
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Lost in Transition by Susan Anwin

Post by Megawatts »

Thanks, I couldn't think of the name. Yes, I remember the movie-- a good one!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “March 2018”