Submitted stories

Tell us what you thought about the June 2018 Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Lipinski
Master Critic

Submitted stories

Post by Lipinski »

Interesting how so many stories worthy of comment get nothing in the forum section.

Myself, I enjoy the poetry the most and find enjoyment in reading what people submit in the poetry section.

In the short stories and long fiction, there are some really great bits of writing. It would be great if anyone reading some of the stories give their input to such.

I wonder if readers and writers fully understand how wonderful it is that a website such as Aphelion exists?

Some writers I suspect fear rejection or negativity. Some readers I suspect could care less than to spend time commenting. That's great as at least the writing is there for all to see and enjoy (or not)

Dan Korigan's story was a fun read. Susan Anwin's story was a fun read also.

Also, since joining the Aphelion group, I have definitely noticed an improvement in the editorial entro. It feels real and human.
Lipinski
Master Critic

Re: Submitted stories

Post by Lipinski »

My input Dan, to what you wrote, is a hearty, 'yes!'.

You put a lot of information about Aphelion that many to include myself did not know. I especially liked how you explained why you don't comment about stories.

So, it is a good idea to use your post in a more public way, that way, people will see the way Aphelion operates. (I like the word 'way' today)

Another thought related to commenting on stories is that is would be nice also to see more writers respond to any comments made about their submissions. Sorta like a two-way feedback.

I myself deplore the modern world where everybody gets a participation award. I think the 'like' button is pushed way too often just as the political agenda slant ( I'm guilty) button is pushed way too often.

It is obvious most stories and poetry submitted and published on Aphelion is the result of writers putting much effort into their respective works. Therefore it would be nice if they could get constructive feedback. And along those lines, I once belonged to a online poetry website where if you submitted a poem you also had to comment on another writers poem. Maybe that is a suggestion that might spur more comments? Any writers having something published here take the time to pick a story or poem, even at random if they don't want to read everything, and make some constructive comments even if that comment is something like this..."I liked how the author used such flowery words, I even had to look up some in a dusty dictionary. Also, I was a bit confused on how the brain of the alien ended up as the main entree at Burger King..."

Anyway, thanks Dan for the information and for keeping the site going.
Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

Post by Lester Curtis »

There are many good guides for critiquing stories. Some of the best are those used at critique.org ---aka, Critters.

http://critique.org/c/whathow.ht

and

http://critique.org/c/diplomacy.ht

IMO, if a writer wants solid, useful critiques and an adequate number of them, Critters is the place to go, but it's strictly business and you pay in kind for the service. I ran a large number of chapters through there and almost never got a critique that wasn't useful.

It's not a casual environment, though; they had a social forum page, but nobody ever posted anything in it. We're more of a hangout, with no entry fees in the form of work--and that's the rub: no one is obligated to post comments here. In fact, at Critters, you can't even *read* stories unless you're a member.

Critters would not be an efficient choice for writers who only produce a few short stories now and again; they'd have to continue giving critiques to maintain their eligibility toward the event of their next submission. Of course, there are people who enjoy critting, and it's an excellent way to learn more about how to become a better writer.

I wish we could find a way to encourage more feedback, but it's all voluntary here.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

I've never agreed with the not commenting thing, Dan. You have the unique perspective of a publisher, which is something that could be extremely valuable to authors. That you are largely hands off to your department heads is beside the point. You've been successfully published yourself, know quite a few people in the biz now from Cons, and have been doing it for a long time. You will not look at a story like a green author (or any other color, for that matter), and that's precisely why you should comment.

Editors should all comment. Heck, I should more than I do, and I semi-retired from this.

I've always told authors to give critiques as the best way to get them back. Here. There's a lot to that, even if they don't feel they're qualified. The very act of critiquing will help make you a better writer.

However, I feel that the bigger problem was and still is: Facebook.

Many of the things that Aphelion a wonderful community have been taken over by FB. People posting links to cool sites they've found. People talking about what's going on in their lives, interacting with each other, telling stories, poking good-natured fun at each other etc., etc. That made it a community where it was fun to be here. FB stole all that. Then, naturally, these same people read and commented on stories while they were here and wrote new stories for their Aphelion friends to read and comment on.

My grandparents never got over television. The wonder and miracle of it. The one-eyed god was never off in their house, talking to them via 3 VHF and 1 UHF channels. I see most of us are stuck the same way with the new digital god, Facebook. It does wonderful, yet empty, things to dazzle us and get us to join together by not actually joining together in person. Just on a FB's screens. I check it about every day, so I'm not free of it either, and it can suck me in so very easily. An hour or two later, I still hadn't added to the story I was avoiding by checking FB.

So long as FB takes away what Aphelion did, I doubt it will improve. The challenges are the only thing left to build community, and we have found that every time the challenges are high in participation, posting story reviews go up in number.

It's really all about community, and it's that's simple, in my opinion.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I try to comment on stories but can't every month. This month I'll read some but since my wife broke her hip, I've been very busy with her. I have her home now, but taking care of her fills up much of my time. When I do get a few minutes to read, I get interrupted with a phone call or one of my wife's needs. However, I will continue to comment when I can.
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “June 2018”