Best Of 2005

Tell us what you thought of the December/January issue.

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Best Of 2005

Post by kailhofer »

Congratulations to those who received Best Of honors. I think you all deserved it.<br><br><br>Will there be any more Best Ofs for shorts and serials coming later??<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on January 06, 2006, 01:07:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Best Of 2005

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Geez, I dunno ... would any readers care to make nominations? What shorts really rode up* -- er, made an impression on you last year? (This is my way of saying that I'm too lazy to review the February-through-November stories all by myself.)<br><br>(* Spandex cut-offs: an idea whose time will NEVER come.)<br><br>Robert "I'm too lazy for my job, too lazy for my job, too lazy -- time for my nap" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Geez, I dunno ... would any readers care to make nominations? What shorts really rode up* -- er, made an impression on you last year? (This is my way of saying that I'm too lazy to review the February-through-November stories all by myself.)

(* Spandex cut-offs: an idea whose time will NEVER come.)

Robert "I'm too lazy for my job, too lazy for my job, too lazy -- time for my nap" M.
<br>You don't really seem the lazy type. Procrastinator, perhaps, but no one who could write Peacekeeper in 1 month could be considered lazy.<br><br><br>My last vestige of modesty won't let me vote for any of my own. (But I hope somebody else does ;))<br><br>Looking through the back issues, I went by which titles I could best remember the stories. Not scientific, but here goes. My nominees are:<br><br>Shorts:<br>The Snake, the Bald Man, & the Baby by Greg Guerin<br>See You in Hell by Gregory Adams<br>Six Lights Off Green Scar by Gareth Lyn Powell<br>Within by Joshua Scribner<br>Billy Goes to Werkworth by Robert Starr<br>& The Yellow Leaf by Joel Doonan<br><br>Serials:<br>Doyen & Ogma by David Alan Jones<br>The Human Cost by Jon Wesick<br>Bone Up Yar by Dan Edelman <br>-(although I say Dan's stories are so interconnected a vote for one is a vote for all of them)<br><br>Nightwatch:<br>The Kindness of Strangers by Jeff Williams<br><br>Mare Inebrium:<br>The Kitten Box by Gareth Lyn Powell <br>-(even if I did get hung about the Cat Box thing)<br><br><br>Any other votes??<br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on January 09, 2006, 11:36:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Stuart_Cormie
Commenter

Post by Stuart_Cormie »

(* Spandex cut-offs:  an idea whose time will NEVER come.)
<br><br>You've not met my wife, have you, Robert? ;)<br>
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

I read so many good stories last year that it is hard to vote for one. The "Kitten Box" sticks in my head, but so does many others. "Billy goes to werkworth" flowed very nicely, but so did "See you in Hell."<br><br>I give thanks to Robert Moriyama for coaching me with my works. Every young writer should listen to him, for I can see that his advice is sound. I'm probably twice his age, but I can still learn a great amount of needed techiques and proper word useage from him.<br><br>I'm not too good with English because I learned it later in life. When I write it's like translation my thoughts into a foreign language. That's how poor my English skills are--the ones enbedded within me from my younger days! And my new skills seem superficial, and I have to think about then constantly, keep reviewing them, and try to pound them in!<br><br>Robert has helped my greatly, thanks!!<br><br><br>
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

One that springs immediately to mind is TOO LATE THE HERO by Gareth D Jones. As I think I said at the time, I liked it a lot. Something about it got into my head and refused to let go.

GLP
<br>I'm sure the author's first name had nothing to do with it ... ;)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Woot, I got mentioned in serials.

Thanks, Nate
<br>You're welcome. <br><br>However, I don't think my vote carries much weight. <br><br><br>Alas, I didn't even get a nomination, and I thought I had a real shot with "Another Sarah" or "Alligator Tears." <br><br>As they say, always a bride's maid and never a bride...<br><br>Nate
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

You're welcome.

However, I don't think my vote carries much weight.

Alas, I didn't even get a nomination, and I thought I had a real shot with "Another Sarah" or "Alligator Tears."

As they say, always a bride's maid and never a bride...

Nate
<br><br>We're still waiting for your check to clear. Oops, this was supposed to be a Private Message ... :-[<br><br>Robert M.<br>

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Nate, "Alligator Tears" made my Best Of list.

Dan
<br><br>Are you picking Best Shorts? Or should I? Or should we both throw names in the hat and see how many match?<br><br>Be gentle -- it's my first time. :o<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “December 2005/January 2006”