Earthly Prey  by  Michelle O'Neill

Tell us what you thought of the December/January issue.

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Earthly Prey  by  Michelle O'Neill

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

By "natural prey", the Hydracore may have simply meant that humans are not in the same league as Hydracores in terms of built-in armament (although we are adept at using tools to kill each other and other species). As a superior predator, the Hydracores consider any other species not so equipped as "natural prey" (especially any that insist on serving themselves up on silver platters -- er, in spaceships). Some humans consider all other species to exist purely for our convenience; it is "natural" for us to eat 'em, use their fur and hides and livers and lights as we see fit. The Hydracore view any species that can't match them in a bare-appendage fight as "prey".<br><br>As for the mechanical lock -- (a) it really DIDN'T occur to anyone that a Hydracore could pick one; and (b) maybe electronic locks are subject to failure in space (what with all them charged particles and radiation seeping in) or too easy to scramble when prisoners may have implanted electronics.<br><br>As for the "Guiding the cage" thing -- hmm. I usually notice things like that. Was the Hydracore in the cage referred to here? Maybe Ms. O'Neill meant that it was in restraints on one side of the cage, and Morgan was standing behind the cage as she guided it, so she could see it "through the bars" ... <br><br>Oy.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

...As above I was distracted by one or two points:

"It was disappointing to know that sexism was alive and well off world too."  Did anyone say anything sexist?  Or is the author a little bit sensitive?   ;)
<br><br>Morgan was resentful of the attitude displayed by everyone who thought that a Mere Woman wouldn't be up to the task of transporting such a dangerous creature/prisoner. Of course, as it turns out, she WASN'T up to the task -- but a man wouldn't have fared any better.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Not a bad story! I hope that I never meet Sargath! <br><br>Some things in the story weren't clear.<br><br>Some things didn't added up. Locks in the future will not be master locks in which one can pick them! They will not have "Keys" but will be engaged eletronically or with a number sequence on a pad. <br><br>Sexism with an alien? The alien probably didn't know what sex Morgan was!<br><br>The story was a good one and I did enjoy reading it.<br><br><br>
Tesla Lives!!!
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Not a bad story! I hope that I never meet Sargath!

Some things in the story weren't clear.

Some things didn't added up. Locks in the future will not be master locks in which one can pick them! They will not have "Keys" but will be engaged eletronically or with a number sequence on a pad.

Sexism with an alien? The alien probably didn't know what sex Morgan was!

The story was a good one and I did enjoy reading it.
<br>Viz. my comments on the lock issue -- mebbe electronic gizmos like locks are unreliable during spaceflight. It's like the difference between writing with pen and ink and a word processor -- the latter is obviously more efficient, but if you run out of ink or paper, you DON'T lose what you have so far. If the word processor (or the whole computer) crashes, on the other hand ...<br><br>The Hydracore was not the only one who treated Morgan as if she was doing a "man's job".<br><br>Anyway, any creature that communicates by pheromones would be well aware of the difference between male and female humans. Under the perfumed soaps and such, we smell different even to each other -- to a Hydracore (or dog, cat, etc.), the difference would be glaringly obvious (if scents can glare, that is). Then there's the whole size, shape, and taste thing (remember, Sargath had killed and eaten humans) ...<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Post by Megawatts »

Very good point with the locks! True, sometimes old is better then new, and I'm sure key locks in the future will be made from much stronger materials. <br><br>The point I made about sexism is with Cyris, and not Sargot. <br><br>Sargot, I'm sure, would have noticed the difference between men and women ( after all he ate what, thousands on Mars?) so with him it is just a question of which one tastes better. <br><br>
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “December 2005/January 2006”