The Fist of God by Bogdan Stevenson

Moderator: Editors

Lester Curtis
Long Fiction Editor

The Fist of God by Bogdan Stevenson

Post by Lester Curtis »

First, a warning: For those who might get offended by such stuff, this is a pretty sharp-edged satire of right-wing Christianity.

Part of the time I was reading this, I was wondering, "Is this some kind of Walter Mitty thing, where the MC is going to be revealed as a pathetic wimp?" But after a while, I just gave up on that possibility and learned to swallow the much larger-than-life absurdities being presented.

So, set your willing suspension of disbelief to maximum, and have fun.

This story gets positive points for keeping me engaged; this level of absurdity is actually pretty difficult to sustain for very long, and starts to sag about halfway through, but this one didn't.

The ending left me dissatisfied and a little confused, because the story didn't seem to have much in the way of a climax and denouement, and I couldn't figure out who this woman was. I read back through and found out, but I was thrown off because it didn't seem as though enough time had passed for the little girl at the pot farm to grow up. Then again, she rose out of an inferno riding an enormous turtle. Also, for once in his life, CW couldn't even move to defend himself. Weak ending, overall, in my opinion, and this was quite unexpected.

It works fairly well doing what it does, though.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to “May 2019”