Nightwatch:  The Peacekeeper by Robert M.

Tell us what you thought about the July 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Nightwatch:  The Peacekeeper by Robert M.

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

... We've been TALKING about this story for awhile, but the bulk of it was written in less than a month. Yes, that's what I meant. LESS THAN A MONTH.

If for no other reason than the fact that he crafted this many quality words that quickly, I think Robert has earned your comments and critiques this month. :)

--Jeff Williams
<br><br>Gee, I hope the story isn't ALL 'bulk' (or 'bunk', as the case may be). As for 'quality words', I wonder if I got them in some kind of meaningful order? I DID use the very best spam subject-line and from-address generating software I could find ... as the immortal scribe Loquaciously Q. Spermatoza would say, H0t stokc Tips! pre-approvd M0rtagges?<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Just to let the readers know, Robert graciously agreed to step in at the last minute and write an emergency replacement story to take the place of one that fell through. We've been TALKING about this story for awhile, but the bulk of it was written in less than a month. Yes, that's what I meant. LESS THAN A MONTH.
--Jeff Williams
<br>I have to give credit where credit is due.<br><br>After we all found out about Kate's broken wrists, the cry went out to see if anyone could pinch hit. There was no way I could have written a thirty-thousand word story in a month. I simply don't have it in me, and I doubt many other people could have managed it, either. <br><br><br>As far as the story goes, I saw drafts of this and gave him feedback practically every other day, so I promise you that Robert doesn't want to hear another word from me about it.<br><br>Read the story, and (pretty please with sugar on top) tell him what you thought. He would really like to know.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

... I read the story and think that if Robert M. can write that many quality words in that short a space of time, there's no reason why he shouldn't be writing and getting paid for it full time...
<br><br>Well, there's rent, and car payments, and car insurance (currently MORE than the car payments), and food, and cable, and ISP charges. I mean, if you are independently wealthy (sold your Enron stock just in time?), I have no objections to being a Kept Writer, but otherwise, I think I'd better hold on to the day job for now. (For one thing, the office is AIR CONDITIONED, which my apartment is not. Also, Free Office Supplies!)<br><br>By 'that genre', I am hoping you mean the techno-thriller (as opposed to the techno-thriller satire), as in Cussler / Coonts / Brown, et al. If you mean cheesy spy novel -- actually, I could live with that, too.<br><br>Thank you for the kind (perhaps too kind? Could the Supreme Headquarters Alien Defense Organization be joshing?). This was actually the longest thing I've ever written (the equivalent of several Al Majius stories strung together) ... sort of a quarter-marathon en route to writing something 'novel length'. And to think that I only used to turn out about 2,500 - 5,000 words A YEAR (writing an entry for an annual contest)!<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Gee, and Donald doesn't even have a story in my to-read list ... I'll be a tad suspicious if one shows up tomorrow. (I know, THEY say I'm paranoid. But I'm on to THEM. My neighbor's dog, Son of Sam, tells me all about THEM.)<br><br>Yeah, I guess Sullivan can't look something like a late-40's Richard Harris, since that's what SIMON looks like. So, what other famous Irish face could we use? Oh, never mind -- the next time he appears, he'll have a whole new face anyway.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

If nothing else Robert should feel pretty energized by completing such a project in so short a time and making such a good show of it. Timely topics and a good balance of research and storytelling. Nice job.

Dan E.
<br><br>On the other hand, the whole 'it's good, considering how fast it was done' thing is not all that reassuring. The question is how people would rate it if they didn't know it was written quickly? (John R. Murray wouldn't care if it was written in one hour or one thousand hours -- he'd still think his was better ...)<br><br>Robert M.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

So, it's been up a month, and no one said anything negative about it.<br><br>I think it would be justified for you to thumb your nose at me and all the heat I gave your story before it went up. My critique apparently was way too harsh.<br><br>Fair is fair, after all.<br><br><br>Nate
Last edited by kailhofer on August 09, 2005, 06:31:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Okay, I *finally* finished reading all the stories for this month. And only a week behind schedule. ::)

This is very nicely done, especially on such short notice. Robert has a knack for interjecting humor. His dialogue is extremely funny, and I laughed aloud reading the part where Simon almost falls victim to the ergonomic chair.

I do have one question though. Why did Simon bring all those pilots with him to Indonesia? Wouldn't it have made more sense to bring operatives more suited for a ground mission?
<br><br>Nightwatch has relatively few covert ops troops (i.e., those with the skills and the clearance to play secret agent / commando), which is why the Lower Echelon accepts (although they may not like) the involvement of Stephanie Keel (a very valuable person at home base) and Tom Weldon (a civilian!) on some of Simon's missions in the field. In this case, Tom and Stephanie were both unable to participate (Tom being waaaaay out of town, and Stephanie still recovering from the injuries sustained in Jigsaw Creek).<br><br>It so happens that the pilots -- all with military training and past involvement in Lower Echelon-sponsored missions -- WERE the best-qualified personnel available on short notice, particularly since three flight crews were needed to make the trip as quickly as possible. (As bizarre as it might seem, they needed to conform with the rules for maximum flying hours in a day). So: the six pilots HAD to be on the plane; they were aware of Nightwatch's clandestine operations; and they had at least some military training and experience (hand-to-hand, small arms, etc.). Waste not, want not ...<br><br>Jeff, do you agree with my take on the Institute's shortage of suitable personnel?<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on August 11, 2005, 11:04:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “July 2005”