Re: World Without Boats - M. Martineck

Tell us what you thought of the April 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

I just couldn't resist the wonderful absurdity of the light switch gag. After the 'life is boring' opening, it took the story through a Sharp Left Turn in a new direction. It was obvious that the protagonist was in a virtual world of some sort, so there was no real 'Surprise!' ending for me, but the reasons for his entry into that world (and reluctance to leave it) were interesting. (Think 'Vanilla Sky' or its Spanish original, 'Abre Sus Ojos'(?).) The light switches seemed like something the protagonist managed to add to the mix, or re-purposed -- in the latter case, maybe they were intended to provide him with a quick-exit mechanism, but he used them to remove anyone he suspected might be there to talk him into returning to the real world.

Robert "Hey, I picked it because I liked it, so there" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
doc
WebMaven

Post by doc »

I loved this story, but I'm a fan of surrealism.

What sells this story, I think, is that there's a double twist. When we are taking outside the virtual reality, we think "Oh, so all that weird stuff was just the product of his imagination." And then, we find out that no, all that stuff exists in the real world too. The story ends there, leaving the reader to wonder.

As Robert M. points out, the light swtich gag was a hoot.

I liked it. It's well written, imaginative, and has a great visual sense. Two thumbs up.
Last edited by doc on April 02, 2007, 10:43:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

Well, a lot of PKD's work had that air of unreality (or doubt about which of several interpretations of reality was valid). 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' (which got Schwarzeneggerized into 'Total Recall'), for example ... or the novel 'Ubik'.

'Scuse me, I have to take this call. I have a lead on a lightswitch dealer who might be able to handle a big rush order ...

RM ::)
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “April 2007”