The Myth of Rain by Daniel C. Smith

Tell us what you thought of the April 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

doc
WebMaven

The Myth of Rain by Daniel C. Smith

Post by doc »

Wow. This is Hobbsian dystopia writ large from the headlines, and a dire warning of what may be to come. The ending is brutal and quick with its twist, and I find myself unsettled by the sparse but very effective sketch of the world presented, as seen through the eyes of a father trying desperately to hold on to what little he has left.

I'm reminded of another effective treatment of this idea, Zander Nyrond's song No Such Thing.

Well done.
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: The Myth of Rain by Daniel C. Smith

Post by Megawatts »

While reading this story the only thought that dominated my mind was what I’d do in a world as described in the story. Yes, I could see how futile dreams about that future might be, and Sara’s future certainly appeared bleak.

A post apocalyptic world has many advantages for a writer: Usually society, the environment, and life as we once knew it now exists somewhere between tainted to complete destruction. A true jungle in which the writer’s imagination can freely exercises itself beyond preconceived or rational boundaries, in short, anything is possible.

A story about a father who knows what destiny will bring. And his daughter who dreams of a time she never knew, but wishes for.

Overlooking a few typos, the writing assumed a  professional quality for it was easy to read with no sharp jumps or wrong word picks. And it had a nice rhythm.

“In today’s world, dreaming was useless, but daydreaming was distracting, and therefore deadly.” ---------A passage near the end of the story.

Very nice thought! Bits of philosophy sprinkled though-out a story gives the story a sense of depth and dimension.

I liked it!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “April 2007”