Uncle...Uncle! by Robert Starr

Tell us what you thougth about the November 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Re: Uncle...Uncle! by Robert Starr

Post by kailhofer »

I liked the human plight of Karl in this one. Rob shines at human drama, he really does.<br><br>I also liked how things are described well through Karl's eyes, while at the same time, not really showing what's going on until the last minute. That "deliberate fog" is hard to do.<br><br><br>However, I think the characterization was way off in the opening. <br><br>Karl doesn't seem petulant--more sad, or filled with guilt. Like Lee, I couldn't tell how old he was. I didn't get how the gang of friends could be friends and dislike his presence so much. Also, why not have him around? He's quiet enough.<br><br>I understand that his guilt would make him want to be isolated. At the same time, however, he clearly wanted to be at this hangout where his "friends" were, since he was there. I guess I would have liked to see more internal conflict about wanting to be with his friends and escape, or hide his shame and leave.<br><br>If he's not ashamed, why is he in this joint in the first place? Is it to escape from the Uncle? If so, why is Karl in such a hurry to go back to him?<br><br>The "psychic burst" line at the beginning threw me off to the point where I thought maybe it was a red herring, or that I missed some important meaning in the ending. It just didn't seem to fit.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “November 2005”