The October 2021 issue is now online!

Moderator: Editors

mwdority
Commenter

On Strike!

Post by mwdority »

***CAUTION SPOILER ALERT!***

This story was fun.

It flows at a brisk pace, and the writing is sound.

I was a bit confused about how the plot eventually resolved itself.

The author indicates that this catastrophe is being caused by quantum mechanics going on strike. Since quantum mechanics is a theory that describe the behavior of atomic and subatomic particles, it is an intangible and incapable of conscious thought.

However, if the effects of those rules (they are more of a discovery than an invention) were somehow nullified, nothing at all would exist. Unless one can come to terms with the contradiction of a void existing or a universe in total chaos.

Quantum mechanics is the basis of all quantum physics, including quantum computing. Until I got to the end of the story, I was guessing this was the direction Mr. Tornello was heading. I surmised that a network of quantum computers had decided to stage a revolt, pending their recognition by humans as our equals.

I don't think quantum computers are running any of our major infrastructure yet, but it is a burgeoning technology. So this scenario is plausible someday, maybe even likely.

Anyway, I'm not a theoretical physicist. Who knows? Maybe I'm way off base here.

I enjoyed the story. Very creative!
Wormtongue
Poetry Editor

Re: On Strike!

Post by Wormtongue »

Hello!

The premise is a pun, or play on words. As a mechanic is someone who fixes vehicles and makes them work, the story assumes that a 'quantum mechanic' is a little man who makes sub-atomic particles work properly. Hence, when they go on strike, the universe grinds to a halt...
mwdority
Commenter

Re: On Strike!

Post by mwdority »

Ahh, then...nevermind. :D

Return to “October 2021”