Locker 49, or the Volunteers by David Rogers

The October 2021 issue is now online!

Moderator: Editors

Megawatts
Master Critic

Locker 49, or the Volunteers by David Rogers

Post by Megawatts »

A Fibonacci sequence is interesting. I’ve forgotten it, but will look it up again. I believe I had it in a section of Calculus devoted to series, and their use in calculating trig tables. It’s been about fifty years.

The story was longer than the usual ones I read. The beginning grabbed my attention which is a must for any story or novel. I love to read and write stories about kids getting themselves into weird situation. This story is a good example of that.

The dialogue between Lana and Charlie throughout the story, captured the life of two teenagers that encountered something unexplainable: Locker 49. We see how they relied on each other for emotional support. That dialogue between them took up much of the story which became a teenage love affair development? However, Charlie might have been gay in which a true and lasting friendship would be. This part of the story also leads me to believe that Lana is also gay, but it is sometimes difficult to tell. The interrelationship between the two must be left to each individual reader. They do have a bond between them.

The story becomes stranger with Charlie and Lana entering the Woods that at one time was going to be called Jabberwocky Park. They have a map which must have saved them from the terrible fate that fell on others that entered.

Good word choices and good dialogue.

More sensory input is needed in this one. A good example would be Charlie and Lana entering the woods and getting hit with dampness. Other odors such as the smells of trees and bushes would drift over them occasionally too. The old woman? Yes, she would have an odor about her, how strong or how weak would be up to the author.

Good story and one that I enjoyed
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to “October 2021”