Born Under Punches by Mark Aspillera

Tell us what you thought about the September 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

tim_c_taylor
Commenter

Re: Born Under Punches by Mark Aspillera

Post by tim_c_taylor »

I liked it. <br><br>The protagonist starts with a problem and at least a partial solution (he gets a name). Meanwhile, warehouses worth of SF furniture flies at us like a hailstorm. <br><br>I like that we get a short piece where the author doesn't feel the need to explain every last detail. I think at novel length, I would suffer from not being able to form a mental picture. But at this length--yes a riff--just bring on the sense of wonder. It works for me.<br><br>I've seen this sort of weird riffing published in The Third Alternative, although that's nothing compared to the weirdness of the artwork. They changed the name after my subscription lapsed (I'm not suggesting causal link??). I think it's Black Static or something.<br><br>So everyone has to be fit in Mark's story. Nanny state gone mad? Fitness leads to productivity? I don't know, but sometimes I would rather wonder for myself than be told. <br><br>I thought Mark made the Reebok comment more for the irony (since the story is centred on running shoes).<br><br>Tim<br>
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Born Under Punches by Mark Aspillera

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

viz. the movie Gattaca, where genetic assays determine EVERYTHING in terms of employment opportunities, permission to mate and reproduce, etc. We are now seeing the possibility that employers and insurance companies will discriminate on the basis of pre-existing medical conditions and even the genetic potential to develop medical conditions. Governments already try to 'encourage' healthy habits (while raking in 'sin taxes' on liquor and tobacco) to control health care costs; from there to monitoring fitness and public behavior ain't that big a stretch (one should always stretch before exercising).<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September 2005”