September is the cruelest month ...

Tell us what you thought about the September 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

September is the cruelest month ...

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

At least if you're an author hoping for comments!  Students are adjusting to new classes, new teachers, new activities, in some cases new schools; parents are trying to keep themselves and the aforementioned students relatively sane; teachers (from Junior Kindergarten through graduate school) are dealing with the new batch (as in Gremlins 2:  The New Batch), who are invariably The Worst Behaved / Worst Prepared Students They Have Ever Seen.<br><br>Then there's the new TV season (with multiple new sf / fantasy genre shows (of which I would recommend 'Threshold' for its combination of intriguing premise and X-Files vibe) and the beginning of the yearly deluge of Oscar-bait movies ...<br><br>Okay, FINE.  The authors typed their fingers to the bone and the editors read themselves bleary-eyed (and in my case, also typed my fingers to the bone mangling what the authors produced), all for (next to) naught.  There better be A LOT of comments for the October edition, when things have settled down.<br><br>Robert (It's quiet -- maybe TOO quiet) M.<br><br>PS Hey! I just realized that LAST September's issue drew 148 posts (the last of which was posted in mid-October, mind you), versus 32 so far this month. That means that The List of Excuses noted above really doesn't stand up to scrutiny -- unless most of the usual readers/posters live in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi, of course. Those people have A REALLY GOOD EXCUSE for not posting.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on September 28, 2005, 01:17:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: September is the cruelest month ...

Never thought criticism could give you glandular problems.
Gord
<br><br>Well, better to be prostate than rectum ...

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Well, better to be prostate than rectum ...
<br><br>Technically, neither the prostate nor the rectum is a reproductive organ. So it does count. So there. Neener neener neener. :P<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

With only a few days to go before the October issue goes online ( ::) -- Dan's a little distracted for some reason, so it may be more than a few), the September edition of Aphelion has drawn the LOWEST number of edition-specific comments of any issue since the transition to the YaBB-based lettercol.<br><br>You'd think we had LIVES or something. Obviously, we must all refocus our priorities away from trivial things like family, work (and / or school), and hurricanes, and concentrate more on our most important duties: snarky dissections of other people's writing! This means YOU, you lurkers -- 174 registered lettercol members, and only 50-something posts?<br><br>(My own posting count has been on the light side too, I must confess. I'll try to do better.)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Rectum? Damn near killed `im!
<br><br>Reminds me of Robin Williams's comment on the Lorena Bobbitt case (Lorena performed a penectomy on her inconsiderate husband while he slept "because he didn't give me orgasms"): "Bobbitt? She cut the whole thing off!"<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “September 2005”