Where's March?

Tell us what you thought of Aphelion's 100th issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Re: Where's March?

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

We's bin bizzy, massa. Gots us some of dem lives and such ... but we trine 'a do better.<br><br>Robert "Life's a beach -- and the sand gets in EVERYTHING" M.<br><br>(To be more specific:<br><br>I got voluntold to help out with a survey at the airport that had me working 6 AM to 2 PM shifts on 7 days this month, away from my office (where I often steal time to read and copy-edit Aphelion submissions).<br><br>In addition, I've been trying to purge as much of 25 or so years' worth of accumulated stuff and packing and moving what's left in preparation for a move at the end of the month.<br><br>Dan, Jeff, Iain, and Rob all have work, family and such-like getting in the way of their sacred Aphelion obligations, too ... Dan has mentioned something about Rob being away at the moment, returning Monday.<br><br>Now, if Aphelion readers would just provide us with a bunch of winning lottery tickets so we could all quit our day jobs (or in Dan's case, day/night shift job), we'd put each new issue online right on schedule ... mostly.)<br>
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on March 18, 2006, 10:40:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Gesundheit.<br><br>By the way, a recent Stargate: Atlantis (well, recent up here) episode illustrated the application of high explosives (military grade plastique) for stump removal ... could speed up that clear-cutting exercise, Dan. ;)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Well, I know that everyone loves reading my story and poem over and over and over again, but perhaps it is time to give some other folks a chance  ;)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the March issue as well.

-- david j.
<br><br>... which may be labeled 'March/April', or just plain 'April', based on the last Editorial discussions. I PROMISE TO DO BETTER ONCE I'M MOVED INTO MY NEW APARTMENT! (By which I mean that I will come up with new and better excuses for procrastinating.)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

This'd be more of a surgical strike against winter-dried kudzu than it would be stump removal. The tractor would be just to push riding lawnmower-sized rocks than for pushing up stumps. Flame throwers and a fire truck would be the equipment of choice for what I've got to do. Not possible at the moment, though. I'll just have to use sweat & backbone to get most of the clearing work done.

Dan.
<br><br>Yeah, you're right.  C4 wouldn't be appropriate for dried, tangled woody ground cover.  Napalm, on the other hand ... :o<br><br>You use the tractor to carve a firebreak around the edge of the main kudzu infestation, then mix gasoline and powdered laundry detergent (I seem to recall that's what you use to make molotov cocktails -- the detergent may just get the gasoline to cling to the target, or maybe the chemical constituents actual enhance the flame -- dunno) and spray the Lovely Decorative Ground Cover From Hell. Stand upwind, toss on a lit (crappy) cigar, then run to the side and stand by to smother any runaway flames.<br><br>I also have recipes for using frozen poultry and air cannons to bring down aircraft 'due to accidental bird strikes' ... Call 1-800-BLO-STUF extension UPGD for details.<br><br>Robert M. ::)<br>
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on March 23, 2006, 10:11:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Robert, have you been attaching weather balloons to your lawn furniture again?
<br><br>To quote John Astin, in the role of Judge Harry Stone's father, "Well, there was that incident with the cellophane, but I'm much better now." Anyway, using weather balloons would be cheating. You have to use regular party balloons. Lots and lots and LOTS of regular party balloons.<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to “February 2006”