Best Short Stories of 2005

Tell us what you thought of Aphelion's 100th issue!

Moderator: Editors

Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Best Short Stories of 2005

Post by Robert_Moriyama »

... IMNSHO ('NSO' = 'not so humble, of course'). The six stories were the ones that popped into my head as the most memorable or 'special' in some way -- action, narrative drive, imagery, characters. There were many other stories also worthy of a 'Best of' designation (by the two Gareths, Bill Wolfe, Frank Byrns, Nate the K., etc., etc., etc.), but I had to stop somewhere. Playoffs ain't meaningful if only the two worst teams in the league are excluded.<br><br>So ... now that it's TOO LATE, howzabout some alternative nominations???<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Megawatts
Master Critic

Re: Best Short Stories of 2005

Post by Megawatts »

Many a good story settled on Aphelion last year. Some, highly descriptive, others with a twist at the end, and others, just plane entertaining. It's hard to judge one against the other. <br><br>The stories that stick in my head are: <br><br>"Billy Goes to Werkworth" by Bobert Star, a very good write!<br><br>"Labi" by Michael Goldberger<br><br>"Entrechats in the Snow" by Lee Alon. I served in a war once, and am always interested in military action.<br><br>"The Man Who Was Pretending to be a Hat" by Harran Wilson. This story still has me musing over lamps, but then again I work in a generation station so electrical usage is alway on my mind! The story stuck with me. I'll give the author credit for that accomplishment!<br><br>There are many others, and I can understand how difficult it is to pick the best. But then again, it seems like the best on Aphelion are getting better all the time, and the runner ups are keeping right on their heels!!
Tesla Lives!!!
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

There were many other stories also worthy of a 'Best of' designation (by the two Gareths, Bill Wolfe, Frank Byrns, Nate the K., etc., etc., etc.), but I had to stop somewhere. Playoffs ain't meaningful if only the two worst teams in the league are excluded.

Robert M.
<br>Is it me, or was I just really insulted? <br><br><br>Congratulations to those who did make it. I wish you all great success.<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Is it me, or was I just really insulted?

Congratulations to those who did make it. I wish you all great success.

Nate
<br><br><br>It's you. ::) You should be happy to be mentioned with the two Gareths, etc., etc., even if you appear to have a shot at a Baen sale. 'sides, it seems at least somewhat likely that this month's 'Albino Alligator' was somewhat inspired or influenced by 'Alligator Tears'.<br><br>Robert M.<br><br>('Nate the K.' could be a radio DJ name -- although the phrase 'Kailhofer da bum' does have a nice ring to it.)
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on February 16, 2006, 12:41:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Robert_Moriyama
Editor Emeritus

Add my congrats to those selected.

And incidentally, Robert, what were the six stories selected? I think I've seen more than six nominations--or have I missed something?

Donald
<br><br>Um, last time I looked, after the eight new stories, there are six story titles and links with the 'Best of 2005' label ... the most recent of which was I. D. Weis's 'Quintessence', from last month's issue.<br><br>Or have they somehow vanished?<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)
kailhofer
Editor Emeritus

Post by kailhofer »

Nate the K. . . sounds like a mob heavy -- some guy the Godfather would send out to settle up with deadbeats.

-- david j.
<br>Aphelion has long used the editorial Mafia motif. I just didn't know I was the metaphorical leg breaker. I thought I was just another of the usual suspects, lookin' to get made someday...<br><br>So, I'm supposed to necktie stories? I'm supposed to dismember fiction with a chain saw for stepping on the wrong toes?<br><br>Saaay, Robert has a story this month, and he sure as hell ain't the Godfather.<br><br>Hmm...<br><br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to “February 2006”